First Sail

Boat handling, ideas, questions...
Belanich

First Sail

Post by Belanich »

We sailed Dolcetto (F38) home today (about 20nm). Overall I'm pleased but I have a bit to learn (or unlearn) about trimming an unstayed rig. One thing that I was not prepared for was the height of the boom and the height of the quick cover (lazy jacks with built in cover from North Sails). I am below average height and I had a hard time attaching the main halyard shackle and installing the quick cover at the mast. I had to hug the mast with one arm while I attached the shackle and tied knots with one hand. There is only one folding step on the stdb side and nothing to hold on to! Any suggestions, tips etc...?
Thanks,
Michael Belanich
Dolcetto F38 #65

Ereiss

Re: First Sail

Post by Ereiss »

Michael;

On our 38 we have two steps (I'm 5-10 and still need to use at least one step). We also leave the halyard shackle attached and pull the halyard down around the lazy jack cleat to keep it off the mast. Our cover was cut to provide for this.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy your boat, she is a great one.
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

Belanich

Post by Belanich »

Thanks Ed,
At 5' 5" you can image the acrobatics it took to get everything rigged - especially since I have Harken Battcars that increase the stack height of the sail.
The current mast step is riveted into the mast and the top rivet is loose. I'm not sure what to do to fix this. Should I fill and re-rivet or drill tap and add a screw? Generally, which is stronger a rivet or a taped screw?
Thanks,
Michael Belanich
Dolcetto, F38 #65

Ereiss

Post by Ereiss »

Michael;

I can't offer any thoughts on best way to tap or retap into the CF mast. Can anyone else offer thoughts/suggestions to Michael?

regards,
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

tnltracy

Post by tnltracy »

Haven't had to deal with this myself, but I'd think you'd want to remove as little material as possible. Maybe drill out the Rivet and go to next nearest size larger, or tap and screw? From my reading since joining the Freedom family, it sounds like tapping and using SS screws is preferred method of attachment to the mast where possible under load bearing conditions.
1984 Freedom 32 #28
Warwick Cove, Greenwich Bay, RI