Downwind reefing

Boat handling, ideas, questions...
hotstonp

Downwind reefing

Post by hotstonp »

A question for you wise salty sea dogs out there.

Is it possible to reef the freedom 32's main (sloop - main & Hoyt jib) whilst sailing down wind?

An article in Sailing today outlines how to do it with single line reefing topping lift and spreaders but I wondered if it was possible given the fully battened main, no topping lift and no spreaders.

Keep well
Peter
Feronia - 1986 Freedom 33 Cat Sloop (UK Hoyt), Hull # 001, Aluminium Needlespar rig, shoal keel.

daletournier

Re: Downwind reefing

Post by daletournier »

Hi Peter, yes I reef mine ddw ask the time. I'm in Sumatra at the moment, Lots of squalls so are reefing frequently. Thinking of adding a tired marine strong track to make it easier, not that it is that difficult now.

sailmon

Post by sailmon »

I installed Tides track a couple years ago - very happy with it!
Sailmon (Captain Bob Allenick)
S/V Her Diamond
1991 Freedom 38
Cleveland, OH

hotstonp

Post by hotstonp »

OK - Feronia already has the Tides Marine track fitted.

What is your process for reefing whilst heading down wind?

Keep well
Peter
Feronia - 1986 Freedom 33 Cat Sloop (UK Hoyt), Hull # 001, Aluminium Needlespar rig, shoal keel.

hotstonp

Post by hotstonp »

I forgot to say that following my question and the responses... I just went ahead and tried it. OK I had to try it due to wind gusting up to 40 knots. As you quite rightly say it is very easy with the Tides Marine track. It would not have been that easy with rigging and spreaders though!

Keep well
Peter