Ballast of the Freedom 40 UK

Boat handling, ideas, questions...
Barcelonasailing

Ballast of the Freedom 40 UK

Post by Barcelonasailing »

Good morning to everybody,
I ask for a help....
someone knows the value of the ballast of the Freedom 40 built in UK long keel design with no centerboard ?

It's very difficult to find details of the British built Freedom 40 as only few have been built in UK and few of them were without centerboard (but deeper draft (1.50 meters) and bigger displacement (12 Tonnes)).

Thanks,

Best,

GB

Capitan Sardina

Re: Ballast of the Freedom 40 UK

Post by Capitan Sardina »

I don’t know about the UK built boats, but the US TPI built freedom 40 has 4.3” draft (I think is closer to ~1.5 m, 4’6”,) and displaces 12 tons (as measured by crane, brochure says 20,000 lbs.). It has a long keel and a centerboard that is not ballasted. Was the UK boat built to the same molds?
BTW, she sails perfectly well without the board. I haven’t used mine in years in the skinny waters of the UK’s East coast, and when I tested racing back in Lake Lanier, GA the gains where marginal at best for a very narrow wind range/directions.
I recall some of the original brochures list 6,000 lbs of ballast, but I suspect that is only the weight of the metal ballast added in (lead?) and does not count the weight of the long keel structure itself + centrerboard , etc which can be significant.
Are you in the UK? We are based in Suffolk-Orwell area.
BTW any relation to Barcelona? I used to sail dingys there a lifetime ago…

Cheers,

Barcelonasailing

Post by Barcelonasailing »

Thanks Capitan Sardina for your reply, and helpful informations that were very useful.

Yes, I live in Barcelona and I collaborate as president of a sailing association. Our idea is to purchase a Freedom to organize in it our sailing activities, trips and navigations.

I recently discovered that in the Isle of Man (Applecraft ?) they built in the early '80 at least one Freedom 40 CC that in fact was much bigger than 40, as it was a 44 feet (around 13.55meters). That means of course make a bigger mould and foreseen maybe a small but serial production. So we can suppose that there are more than one today, between the few Freedom 40 built in UK, that should be with the same 44 feet LOA and wider beam, etc.

Do you know something about it ?

Thanks,

Best,

Beatsworking

Post by Beatsworking »

Hi
We have a freedom 40 built in the uk in 1985. We are currently on the Atlantic coast of France, and would be happy to answer any questions that you still may have.

Regards

Coryn and Gordon Peters
SV Simena
Coryn and Gordon Peters F40 Simena

bad

Post by bad »

I can't speak for the UK F40s, but i had the opportunity to determine that the weight of our fiberglass centerboard on is 1100 lbs.

Erik