Camber spar wing-on-wing

Boat handling, ideas, questions...
Stephen_H

Camber spar wing-on-wing

Post by Stephen_H »

Just purchased a 1988 Freedom 30 and have sailed wing-on-wing a couple of times already. While the camber spar helps maintain the shape, in lighter wind it still shifts sides regularly. Has anyone added any running rigging to the camber spar to maintain it in position, like a whisker pole would? I was considering adding blocks to the toe rails on the port and starboard side and running control lines from the camber spar's clew to the aft cleats. Thanks for any advice.
1985 F39 Express (Hull #44)
S/Y OXYGEN
Port Washington, NY

jamesorr

Re: Camber spar wing-on-wing

Post by jamesorr »

Soon after we purchased our 1988 Freedom 32 (should be the same boat as yours, except with the scoop aft), we purchased a whisker pole (approximately 6' when stowed, nearly double fully extended), and we have used it frequently for all of our head sails (camber spar, 110 and 155 drifter) for just such occasions (downwind, keeping the jib to the side opposite of the main) -- works great. Our whisker pole has an inch and a half long "peg" in the end which is positioning in either the jib clew grommet or end of the camber spar and boat end clips onto a horizontal ring (~2 inches in diameter) welded to the front of the mast collar used for our vang (hard). It is short enough to go in the aft cabin and fits between the cushion and bulkhead, effectively invisible until needed (i.e. when jib can't decide which side of the boat it wants to be on -- especially an issue in light winds and remaining chop).
James Orr
Orr What
1988 Freedom 32 (Mull)
Sodus Bay, NY

Stephen_H

Re: Camber spar wing-on-wing

Post by Stephen_H »

Thanks for the reply James. I was hoping to avoid adding another thing to the boat, and avoid going forward to rig a pole when running downwind. But I’ll look into the whisker pole option.
1985 F39 Express (Hull #44)
S/Y OXYGEN
Port Washington, NY