Freedom 39 Water Tanks

Fresh/Waste Water Systems, Watermakers, HVAC, Refrigeration...
esinger

Freedom 39 Water Tanks

Post by esinger »

I just purchased a 39PHS and am in the process of figuring out how it is all put together. I assume that the water tanks are outboard of the fuel tanks, approximately amidships, but I can't figure out how to access them. I don't see a water gauge anywhere and would like to be able to install one, check connections, etc. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
S/V Victoria
1985 Freedom 39 Pilothouse Schooner
Miami, FL

jdpandlp

Re: Freedom 39 Water Tanks

Post by jdpandlp »

Wish I could tell you that there was an easy way but there is not. The tanks are full enclosed by the cabinets. I have pictures from when I changed one of the tanks but they are to big to load. The fills are easy to find by following the hose from the deck fill, the vent lines connect to the tank in the same place. The water is drawn from the lower forward point of each tank that can be accessed from the void behind the forward fuel tank on the starboard side or the back of the cabinet on the port side. There is no area on the top of the tank to place a viewing port or sender for a gauge. I attached a piece of 1/8 inch tubing just ahead of the fresh water pump that I hold up and open one tank valve at a time. How high the water comes up in the tube will tell you how much is left in the tank. I have the Express but the PH versions I have seen were the same as mine in this area. The only difference is that some models have cabinetry were some have bunks or shelving. Hope this helps.

lvwiv

Post by lvwiv »

Victoria

Your watertanks are just inside the port and starboard hulls. They are Poly and have two vertical molded in depressions which act as baffles. The port tank I was able to get at the top face near the input by disassembling the word fascia which covers the fuel and water inlet hoses and acts as a housing for a 110V socket. As jdpandlp state though, they (tanks) are fully enclosed.
HOWEVER, I was able to install an ultrasonic NMEA2000 transducer for water level at the top forward face, next to the inlet attachment just under the 1/2 " plywood top to the cabinetry which doubles as the bookshelf on the port side . I used this unit because it is very thin (about 3/4") and easy to slide between cabinet and tank top. I have not tried that on the starboard side because I have the inside steering station and all the wiring from the circuit panels makes for a very tight space.
https://www.maretron.com/products/tlm100.php

Feel free to reply with more questions.

Cheers, lvwlv

Simplify

Post by Simplify »

Eric,

You can call me anytime to ask about the boat, I thought the broker gave you my contact info, if not ask him and feel free. There's not much I don't know about her but this forum is great for all kings of Freedom details.

John
PO , Simplify
Fishinjohn
1985 39 PH
Simplify

jdpandlp

Post by jdpandlp »

I found some pictures that would post, one from just after starting and one from just before the tank can be removed. Hope you never have to go there though the entire project can be done without cutting anything, it all comes apart with screws.
Attachments
DSCN1323.JPG
DSCN1323.JPG (236 KiB) Viewed 5665 times
DSCN1327.JPG
DSCN1327.JPG (239.36 KiB) Viewed 5665 times