water tank leak

Fresh/Waste Water Systems, Watermakers, HVAC, Refrigeration...
RonBarr

water tank leak

Post by RonBarr »

My poly water tank on the F32 has a leak somewhere about half way up (that’s when the tank starts to empty into the bilges). When Freedom put it they obviously didn’t think much about getting it out! Anyway I’ve finally got to it by disassembling half the plywood joiner work on the starboard side. Still can’t see the leak on the side since it is too tight a fit. So next thing is to remove the filler and outflow connections and get the thing out. Has anyone come up with an adhesive that will work on poly?

Thanks

Ron
Hoyt F32
Newport RI

Laurence

Re: water tank leak

Post by Laurence »

I too had a leak on my F-33 water tank which seemed to be coming from the middle of the tank side. It turned out to be the where the intake fitting screwed into the tank.
I too had to disassemble and cut into the top of the port settee to get the tank out. I got a new fitting with longer threads, used Teflon tape on the treads and no more leaks.
Since I had the tank out, I made a hatch cut out on the top of the plywood used for the port seat. Used the cut out as the top. Reinstalled the tank and now have a place for all my charts, which sit on the top of the watertank, with access from under the port cushion.
Good luck

RonBarr

Re: water tank leak

Post by RonBarr »

well I have it - the leak is at the baffles where they turn - in both baffles. The tanks are poly I think and I have been told by Alan that there is an adhesive called Scotch Weld 8005. In the meantime the tank is full of algae so I am considering means for cleaning it??? I think it needs an access plate frankly. Not quite sure about getting into that.
Ron