Holding tank... Freedom 36

Fresh/Waste Water Systems, Watermakers, HVAC, Refrigeration...
Tom Cawrse

Holding tank... Freedom 36

Post by Tom Cawrse »

I'm a new owner of "Pegasus", a 1988 Freedom 36. I need to rework the sewage system... probably all original... does anyone have a feeling about composting toilets? Is there a secret to removing the old holding tank? The boat will usually be docked and sailed on Lake Washington, Seattle... no "working" :cry: pump out stations closer than 10 miles!

wcwcwc

Re: Holding tank... Freedom 36

Post by wcwcwc »

I did mine a couple of years ago.

you can remove the tank by pulling it out towards the stern until it hits the seacock for the discharge. Then use a jigsaw to cut it as close to the bulkhead as you can then repeat until it's all gone. Nasty work.

I then put in a twenty gallon tank under the port seat.

Try this search for more on this - http://www.freedomyachts.org/search.php ... mit=Search
Bill Cormack
Formerly Sailing F-36 "Hard Earned" out of New Bedford Yacht Club, Padanaram, MA. Now a member of Pelagic Sailing Club a New England based club whose members are about half boat owners and half crew.

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

I received the following e-mail, which I assume was a response to this, from Alan Kusinitz:
Geoff,

David Hanson has a Freedom 28 with one and swears by it.

Alan F-33 Hull #51 SEAPR
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

plolic

Post by plolic »

wcwcwc wrote:I did mine a couple of years ago.

you can remove the tank by pulling it out towards the stern until it hits the seacock for the discharge. Then use a jigsaw to cut it as close to the bulkhead as you can then repeat until it's all gone. Nasty work.

I then put in a twenty gallon tank under the port seat.

Try this search for more on this - http://www.freedomyachts.org/search.php ... mit=Search
Although this is a nasty work to do on your boat I am grateful for above suggestion. On my 1986 F36 I just removed my 25 year old stinky, inaccessible holding tank and replaced it with brand new ($350 shipped to Point Roberts, WA) with a Ronco B137 20Gal holding tank which fits nicely under the port settee. All hoses and connections accessible and a tank came with 6 Inch inspection port on top for cleaning in situ and inspecting. With this I have obviously changed all hoses and elbow connections and the boat smells very nice once again. Unlike previous owners, exchanging hoses every 5 years and keeping it pumped out and clean when not in use will ensure many years of no smell on the boat. This is from experience on my previous boat.

Tom Cawrse

Post by Tom Cawrse »

I removed the original 12gal. holding tank in my F36 " Pegasus" in October... it slid out, with a little coaxing, from under the sink in the head to the port settee area aft of the bulkhead. I didn't have to cut it up (thank God!) because it drained back to the common thru hull area under the galley sink. You can imagine how that 12 foot section of hose smelled!! I then installed an Airhead composting toilet. I mounted the Airhead on a 1 inch thick polyester board that swivels somewhat like a lazy susan on the "shelf" in the head. After removing the old hoses, the boat smells great!! I'm trying to come up with a way to access the old holding area to use as storage... more info on that later. I also installed a 28 gal. water tank under the port settee... fits like a glove, and will extend our range here on Puget Sound.I used the old holding tank pumpout as the fill... no, i didn't use the actual fittings, but changed everything out!! I'll report on how the Airhead works in real life after this years cruising season.

Tom Cawrse

rvivian

Post by rvivian »

Tom -

Why did you mount the Airhead on a board that swivels like a lazy Susan?

Any pictures??

I'll be relocating the Airhead from my previous boat to my F-30 as soon as I finish the wiring and electronics upgrades.

RWV
Heart's Desire
Freedom 30
Shelton, WA

Tom Cawrse

Post by Tom Cawrse »

RVW... I mounted the airhead on the swiveling board because there wasn't enough room on the "shelf" that the original Raritan was on. I mounted an aluminum leg from an old boarding ladder under the lazy susan to support it when it is swung out to the best position for comfortable use. The leg folds when the board is swung in so that the sliding door to the v-berth can be used... even though we rarely use this sliding door. I'm hoping this works out... I'll have a better idea after the upcoming cruising season. Sounds like the airhead worked out well on your F-30.