refrigeration for F32

Fresh/Waste Water Systems, Watermakers, HVAC, Refrigeration...
freedomrider

refrigeration for F32

Post by freedomrider »

My new (to me) 1984 F32 "Freedomrider III" is about to get refrigeration. I'm thinking Alder barbour air- and water-cooled CU-200 SuperColdMachine. Thinking cold plate but might go with a regular evaporator. I aspire to cruise in Mexico, so I'm sizing it for the tropics. My question is where to put the compressor. There's a hanging locker in the forepeak with a well vented cane door that would be a good spot.

What do you have/recommend?

Dave Calhoun

joseph.syc

Re: refrigeration for F32

Post by joseph.syc »

My F32 has an Adler Barbour air cooled system in the aft corner of the dinette seat. It is air cooled, and there are vents top and bottom to allow air circulation; the one on top I need to keep an eye on since guests like to set things on it. There is a thru hull for sea water cooling that I may upgrade to at some point in the future. System works great, frozen things stay frozen and beer stays refreshingly cold. Only complaint is the freezer needs occasional defrosting or the freezer area gets painfully small.

Joseph
S/V Timbuktu
Freedom 32 - Hoyt
Hull #43

sailmon

Post by sailmon »

I'm very happy with the Sea Frost system I put in my F38 about 5 years ago. It's an energy sipper and the compressor unit is relatively small. It includes a vent hose to draw cooling air from the cabin. The company custom built an oversized freezer box to my specifications with minimal up-charge. Company owner still answers the phone... provides consultation.
Sailmon (Captain Bob Allenick)
S/V Her Diamond
1991 Freedom 38
Cleveland, OH

freedomrider

Post by freedomrider »

sailmon wrote:I'm very happy with the Sea Frost system I put in my F38 about 5 years ago. It's an energy sipper and the compressor unit is relatively small. It includes a vent hose to draw cooling air from the cabin. The company custom built an oversized freezer box to my specifications with minimal up-charge. Company owner still answers the phone... provides consultation.
I wound up buying the Sea Frost w/ water cooling and electronic speed control. I decided to put it in the aft cabin hanging locker. It's a short and straightforward run to the icebox and electric panel, good service access and good ventilation.