Fresh water system replacement

Fresh/Waste Water Systems, Watermakers, HVAC, Refrigeration...
jeffalligood

Fresh water system replacement

Post by jeffalligood »

Considering replacing hoses, water heater, pumps, etc on my freedom 32. Has anyone done this? Love to hear your experience (and issues). Thx!

Jeff

tnltracy

Re: Fresh water system replacement

Post by tnltracy »

Hi Jeff,

I have just begun same, and very interested in experience others have in this project. My freshwater system has not been commissioned in several years (I just bought in the fall), and the hoses look pretty tired. Pump is shot (pressure sensor broke off, does not look repairable), and I'm guessing there's plenty of stuff in them I just don't want to see coming out at the faucet.

The hoses all appear pretty accessible, with the toughest spot being under the battery trays, and likely getting to the basin in the head.

My hoses appear to be a bit larger than 1/2 ID, based on finding the connections in the strainer with duct tape (lots of duct tape found in this boat, ugh) to help them better fit the hoses... The first bit of 1/2ID hose I replaced from the tank to the strainer does appear a bit smaller than the rest of what's there.
1984 Freedom 32 #28
Warwick Cove, Greenwich Bay, RI

rvivian

Re: Fresh water system replacement

Post by rvivian »

I replaced the freshwater system in my F-30 with 1/2" color coded PEX piping and plastic push on fittings and valves from Home Depot. Similar to the Whale system but less expensive.

I installed two clean-out ports in the freshwater tank and cleaned it out; then followed with bleach, then another two flushes with fresh water before final filling.

Replaced the original pump with a variable speed pressure pump on a platform in the bilge and a 5 -gal pressure tank under the sink.
Heart's Desire
Freedom 30
Shelton, WA