Vent in Water Tank of 40/40?

Fresh/Waste Water Systems, Watermakers, HVAC, Refrigeration...
Riki

Vent in Water Tank of 40/40?

Post by Riki »

We had an "interesting" experience with our 40/40 this past weekend. We are normally on a mooring ball and had the opportunity to fill up and wash down the boat at the dock. Unfortunately the water pressure on one of the hoses was pretty low, so we just stuck it in to fill up the water tank. Waiting for the water to bubble over to let us know that the tank was full. We went about our business and kept checking on the level of the tank. Down below the gauge kept showing about 90% full and we kept waiting. At one point, I told my husband that there must be a hole in the tank because it's impossible for the tank to be continuing to fill after so much time. Ultimately we looked in the bilge and lo and behold there was a ton of clean water in there. We're not sure exactly what happened and couldn't find where the water came from, but suspect that perhaps there's a vent that the water tank has and because of the slow rate of filling, it didn't bubble over the side onto the deck, but simply spilled out into the bilge. Has anyone else had this happen? Do you know where the air vent is? After emptying the bilge, the water tank maintained it's level of being 90% full, so we don't think there's another hole there.
1997 Freedom 40/40 Hull #27

GeoffSchultz

Re: Vent in Water Tank of 40/40?

Post by GeoffSchultz »

The vent hose goes up to about deck level and then back down to the bilge area. I suspect that your measuring device sticks at 90% or the display is mis-calibrated.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

bobr

Re: Vent in Water Tank of 40/40?

Post by bobr »

I have the same experience on my 35. There appears to be a vent hose that discharges into the bilge, but I never get any water from it or out of the top of the deck fill. Rather, when the tank is full I just see water running into the bilge from the direction of the tank which is buried under a berth without a gauge.

I use it as a bilge cleaning opportunity.
Bob R.
1995 Freedom 35 (Pedrick)
"Liberty"
Old Saybrook, CT