Holding Tank Longevity

Fresh/Waste Water Systems, Watermakers, HVAC, Refrigeration...
BillMA

Holding Tank Longevity

Post by BillMA »

Hanging around Paul Dennis' shop last year, I saw two different 40/40's receiving aft holding tanks. They were 1996 vintage as I recall. Swap out of these is not an easy task as, apparently, the decks went on after the tanks were installed and removal requires serious modification of the bulkhead in the aft cabin in addition to removal of the misc. components in the locker.
I was wondering if there is a life to these aluminum tanks, say, within a 3 to 4 year window. If that is the case, my 2000 40/40 may be due for this work. Just would not want to address this during the short New England summer.
I was hoping that forum members might share age of their tank failures and any holding tank experience that they went through.
Thanks in advance.

Bill Mullen
2000 Freedom 4040 Azura
Scituate, MA

wcwcwc

Re: Holding Tank Longevity

Post by wcwcwc »

A few months ago there was an article published in one of the major boating mag, cruising world I think, about someone who did a rehab of his fuel tank while still in the boat. I don’t know if this is feasible with your tanks as well.
Bill Cormack
Formerly Sailing F-36 "Hard Earned" out of New Bedford Yacht Club, Padanaram, MA. Now a member of Pelagic Sailing Club a New England based club whose members are about half boat owners and half crew.

BillSmith

Post by BillSmith »

Have seen solutions that inserted a bladder into existing tank.
Bill & Carole Smith
Freedom 35 Pedrick
SweeTART
Coyote Point
San Mateo, CA

RadioZephyr

Post by RadioZephyr »

wcwcwc wrote:A few months ago there was an article published in one of the major boating mag, cruising world I think, about someone who did a rehab of his fuel tank while still in the boat. I don’t know if this is feasible with your tanks as well.
FYI: https://www.cruisingworld.com/how-to-re ... ater-tanks
Josh
Sunset Spy
F38, Hull #152
Boston, MA