Replacing head with a composting toilet

Fresh/Waste Water Systems, Watermakers, HVAC, Refrigeration...

Replacing head with a composting toilet

Postby EllenZimmer » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:48 pm

I am new to this forum, so if there is already a thread kindly let me know. I did a quick search and only found a comment back in 2013 of someone that replaced their head with a composting toilet.

We have a 1987 Freedom 36 and plan to replace the head with an Air Head. I am looking for any advise regarding both the removal of the current marine toilet and any experiences with installing an Air Head or Nature Head composting toilet.

I have read several threads regarding getting the bolts removed from the toilet base, sounds difficult - any tricks that someone has discovered?

Thank you in advance for any help! If you have pictures to share of your composting toilet I would love to see them!

- Ellen
EllenZimmer

Re: Replacing head with a composting toilet

Postby drcscruggs » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:32 am

Recently there was a post on removal of the bolts for the head. It seems he cut and placed a removable port beside the head that made access easy. Sounds like a good idea to me. I haven't done it but certainly sounds good.
drcscruggs

Postby EllenZimmer » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:44 pm

Yes, I have read a lot about the bolts. We already have an access panel so I think we are good with that.

Next issue is how to remove the holding tank! It is behind the sink head molded area and beside the bench seat storage in the salon. Completely built into the wall from what I can tell. Seven hoses cross its path on the storage bench side.

Any thoughts on that. I'm going to create a separate thread about holding tank removal to see if anyone dealt with it on a Freedom 36.

Thanks.
EllenZimmer

Postby Goose13 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:37 pm

I converted to Air Head 12 months ago. I have a center board trunk vent that I vented it through. The fan runs 24/7 and pulls very few amps. So far the verdict is still out on weather is was a good investment or not I do not notice any odors, but significant other has made several complaints especially while we are under way on certain angles of sail. As far as ease and maintenance, I give it 5 stars.
Goose13

Postby EllenZimmer » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:39 am

Thanks for the post. We are well into our removal and installation. We already notice an odor improvement just from removal of hoses and head. Today is removal of the fiberglass holding tank. Due to the small hole and the seacock for overboard sewage we cannot just pull the tank but we will have to cut it out piece by piece. Anyone with a f36 knows what I am talking about!

The hull base airhead fits perfect. We are building a support floor and found a pre made wood online and rubber feet that adjust. (Our head floor slopes down and is not flat). I will post some pics once this is all said and done.
EllenZimmer

Return to Plumbing