trailer advice Freedom 21 shoal draft

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
Jesse

trailer advice Freedom 21 shoal draft

Post by Jesse »

Hi All,

I have an F21 shoal draft and I am thinking about fixing up an old trailer to transport and store the boat. I have seen a lot of photos on the web of such trailers and have a good idea how to modify the trailer (e.g., keel support board and bunks) but I was curious if it is a problem if the back of the boat extends beyond the trailer. I have seen some pictures where the trailer is much smaller than the boat. Is this a problem? I know all the weight goes on the fin, so I cannot see why it would matter if the trailer is a bit shorter than the boat; as long as the fin is fully supported on the keel board. The trailer I have is 19.75 feet from tongue to tail.

Anyway, if anyone is willing or able to offer advice about if this trailer might work out, I would be very appreciative.

Thanks and best wishes
Jesse

drcscruggs

Re: trailer advice Freedom 21 shoal draft

Post by drcscruggs »

FWIW,
I don't think it should be too much of a problem assuming that it does not extend too much. I would be more concerned about whether or not the axles are overloaded. Not sure what it weights or the ability of the trailer. You certainly should be aware of both. I would not think a foot or even two should be an issue. Now 5 feet...., probably not. I am not an expert on trailers, just my 2 cents. Best.

hkowalczyk

Post by hkowalczyk »

It is not a problem at all. Here is the back of mine.
Attachments
Photo editing_Cloud20181028.jpg
Photo editing_Cloud20181028.jpg (198.94 KiB) Viewed 4765 times

Castaway

Post by Castaway »

We have towed a Freedom 21 to Spain and back, and a few other places in between. Longest journey was around 2,000 miles. Much easier done with our Jeep Grand Cherokee than the modest Citroen C4, but never got stuck, and the boat just sits on top of the trailer with a couple of straps to hold it in place. It overhangs by about 2 m., but this is OK in Europe so long as the lights are on the end of the boat.
Attachments
Towed 'Skeba' 2,000 miles like this; no trouble. Car has 1.5 tonne towing capacity, we had most of the moveable gear in the car.
Towed 'Skeba' 2,000 miles like this; no trouble. Car has 1.5 tonne towing capacity, we had most of the moveable gear in the car.
DSC_2470.jpg (98.43 KiB) Viewed 4605 times
Gerald Freshwater,
s/y 'Castaway', (UK F35 cat ketch, centreboard, 1987)
Lerwick Boating Club
Shetland Isles, Scotland

Teke's Pride

Post by Teke's Pride »

F21 SD weighs in at 2100 lbs not counting a motor. Make sure your axle and tires are rated for the combined weight of the boat and trailer. I would suggest going 10-20% over that weight to cover motor and gear.
Clark Myers
Teke's Pride
F21 #345

Black Finn
F40 AC CK #41

Browns Creek Sailing Association
Guntersville, AL
http://www.youtube.com/LambdaZetaTeke