Looking for information on painting masts

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
JMD00

Looking for information on painting masts

Post by JMD00 »

I have recently purchased a 28 Cat Ketch and am looking for any information on paint prep and painting of carbon fiber masts. I would appreciate any suggestions you can give me.

fmolden

Re: Looking for information on painting masts

Post by fmolden »

I had questioned Freedom on this before they closed the plant. I had small chips in the white Awlgrip paint from a flogging metal radar reflector. The advice was for a "touch up" to just use a spray can of kitchen appliance enemal. I cleaned with alchol and sprayed. Color was very close and with a bit of buffing matched nicley.

Michel

Post by Michel »

On the carbon fibre, they used a 'mud coat' (primer/filler/fairing compound) and then several layers of awlgrip. I have had this redone on my masts two years ago. Because of the flexibility of the CF masts, after two years there are already some horizontal cracks in the paint layer, despite the use of the very flexible Awlgrip.
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

I just had my mast/boom re-Awlgripped in Matterhorn White a couple of years ago due to lots of years of abuse. I primarily had scratches and dings, but I can't recall any cracks in the paint, despite 35,000 miles on it. I will say that it turned out beautifully.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

Michel

Post by Michel »

Geoff,

I think the CF masts on the sloops were built stiffer then the masts on the (older) catketches. Hence the lack of horizontal cracks. I have an original 1981 mizzen and a 2000 main from a different builder (GMT) which is much stiffer and built to more modern insights.
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.

JMD00

Post by JMD00 »

Thanks to all for the information.

numbknots

Post by numbknots »

JMD00 wrote:I have recently purchased a 28 Cat Ketch and am looking for any information on paint prep and painting of carbon fiber masts. I would appreciate any suggestions you can give me.
Im new to forum but not to working on Freedoms. I have redone both my masts which came out fantastic! This was not easy. I had those horrible cracks I'm sure your familar with up both masts. I tried to paint with an alwgrip type paint after sanding and filling with a thick paste of epoxy and macro dust from west systems. Looked fine for about 2 days then the weather got cold and many hrs of work down the drain. Cracks reappeared and back to square one. This time I figured it out I think. I sanded mast down again< all paint and all black from factory off. Next I wraped the mast with a 2inch fiber glass tape spiraled up clockwise and down anti clockwise. 3- Sanded and filled where voids showed. 4- I pulled a 36' fiber glass "sock" over entire length, then once again another fiber glass sock but this time much lighter for a better finish. These socks are similar to those chinese hand cuffs that we played with as kids. The harder you pull on them the tighter they get. 5- Filled , sanded, primed and painted, DONE. Used a leniar polyurethane paint these mast have been out in 50knt gust and fla summer heat and are still perfect no cracks, chips or
complaints. Dont take shortcuts is all I can say Oh yes, prep to the point of rediculous and your getting close. Good Luck Numbknots
... currently experiencing performance anxiety..,