deadlight replacement glass f45

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
N1YDY

deadlight replacement glass f45

Post by N1YDY »

Does anybody know where I can get a pain of the safety glass for a 1990 Freedom 45 that matches the type that the factory used ? I really don't want to have to replace all four... Also, how would I best go about getting the old one out and re-glazing the new one in? Thank you.

Hank Brakman
s/v Ladyhawk F45cc, #20

GeoffSchultz

Re: deadlight replacement glass f45

Post by GeoffSchultz »

OK, I'll show my ignorance. What's a "deadlight"?

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

Michel

Post by Michel »

A port in deck or hull that can't be opened.
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.

dwight

Post by dwight »

Unfortuantely I cannot remember the details, but as I recall the "deadlights" in both the F35 and F40/40 were laminated safety glass, the same as in US car windshields. The two panes of glass are cut to size and "tempered". This process requires heating the glass to a certain temperature and cooling at a specific rate. Then the two panes are "laminated". A piece of plastic is placed between the two sheets, pressure is applied and the assembly is heated so that the plastic melts and bonds the glass together. If shattered, the tempered glass breaks into tiny cubes and the plastic holds these cubes in place, thus eliminating large pieces that can cause severe injury. Hence the name "safety glass".

I was told by the manufacturer at the time that due to the manufacturing process, you cannot buy a piece of safety glass and cut it to size.

The company that manufactured these was located in upstate New York and at the time these models were designed, they used this technique to make bullet-proof glass. I will check my records to see if I have any more information.
Dwight Escalera
Accredited Marine Surveyor, SAMS #1024
former engineer at Freedom Yachts
former owner F36-71
Wakefield, RI