Single ply sails

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
Michel

Re: Single ply sails

Post by Michel »

I now have three sets of pad eyes on my masts because I wasn't satisfied with the wishbone angle the previous owners had. It takes a lot to find out exactly what the right angle is. The wishbone angle decides the relationship between leech tension and foot tension. With all my sets of pad eyes, I might revert to an adjustable wishbone angle. As you say, the steeper the angle, the better the forces are fed into the mast. But if you over-angle, your boom end gets too close to the mast and you can't get your sail flat anymore. That's a problem I had with the top most set of pad eyes. My new set of sails will have a shorter foot (and a wider head) so I could revert to using to the steeper wishbone angle again. That would put less stress on the foot of the sail and the bottom slide.
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.

nickokelly

Re: Single ply sails

Post by nickokelly »

I too am converting from wrap-around to full batten sails on an Antal track. My question is about rigging the choker: can I ask how you chose to position and fasten the pad-eyes (or whatever hardware you chose) to the mast? Did you position on the sides of the mast such as a Nonsuch, or did you mount to the front of the mast with a tang of some sort.