Checking centerboard pin wear f28

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
numbknots

Checking centerboard pin wear f28

Post by numbknots »

How can you tell the condition of center board pin without removing it from hull? How long do they usually last? And lastly do they go into the fiberglass keel or are they supported by the metal that runs vertically in the front of the c/b trunk? Thanks Numbknots
... currently experiencing performance anxiety..,

CrazyRU

Re: Checking centerboard pin wear f28

Post by CrazyRU »

Is there the pin at all? I didn’t open my trunk yet. “Practical Sailor”, in review of Freedom 33 (it is same design, just a bit bigger) says next:
“The centerboard is the product of perhaps the most thoughtful design and engineering on the boat. It is pivoted in a channel, eliminating the need for a pin that breaches the hull.”
So, my take is that it is same type of centerboard as on some dinghies or Tornado catamaran – it just slides there, having pivoting channels on sides.
Or it is not?
CR
s/v "NEMO" - Freedom 28 Cat Ketch centerboard

numbknots

Post by numbknots »

RU,
Seems to me when I opened the trunk to replace the sheaves that were split I saw something different than a channel. In front of the trunk there was an upside down U channel piece. Okay I'll try again. Say the metal is 3/16 thick 4" or 5" wide, bottom open, top end boxed. goes all the way down to bottom of trunk where in the open end appears the pivot pin for c/b. Now does the c/b slide up and down in that U shaped piece?
Why would it. What purpose would that serve? Maybe it does that could be why my center board had play up and down when I had it in the sling. Which is why I had questions about c/b pin wear in the firat place.
I only hope the pin is over engineered because the sheaves really sucked. I put all Garhauler equipment and it really helped ease the lifting. The original parts were small diameter sheaves and like I said befor all split. I changed the line with spectra and striped off the outside coat where it went through the pulleys. Numbknots
... currently experiencing performance anxiety..,

Michel

Post by Michel »

I only know how it works in the UK built F33/35. from what you say, I read that the design is the same. The pin does not slide; the U shaped plate is a reinforcement of the trunk. There is a pin below the waterline that can only be removed by chopping away gel coat and filler, after you found the spot where the pin is on the keel (on the outside). I had difficulty finding it because of all the layers of bottom paint. On the F33/35 I believe the pin is 4" stainless.
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.