Cleaning Lifelines

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
GeoffSchultz

Cleaning Lifelines

Post by GeoffSchultz »

Here's a little tip that Sue discovered this weekend: Magic Erasers do an amazing job of cleaning black grime off of lifelines! Our are sparkling white after being wiped down with one.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

katorpus

Re: Cleaning Lifelines

Post by katorpus »

There's an uber-cautious school of thought out there that you should NEVER clean your lifelines.

(I think that) the thinking there is that as long as they are all "nice & pretty", then you won't replace them regardless of what ugly things might be going on under all that white plastic. When they get looking gross enough that you can't stand them, then replace them.

A guy who I encountered in Rockport a few years ago had removed all of his, cleaned them up, masked all the fittings, and laid them out on the dock and spray painted them with the stuff they sell to make your soft plastic vent covers look new again...he REALLY didn't appreciate that revelation.

I think that, as long as you don't take to using naval jelly or acid to clean up the rust at the fitting ends, you're probably ok

(tongue firmly in cheek here)

btw...two of the things that I always tell my newbie & first-time guests when they first come aboard...

1) Pretend that the lifelines are an electric fence and only grab on to them when you would otherwise be headed overboard.
2) Assume that, if you go overboard, you will die.

Michel

Post by Michel »

Just to stress John's point:
To avoid speculation about reliability of lifelines, ISAF Offshore Special Regulations prohibit lifelines with any kind of covering.

With regards to John's last point sub 2): I wonder how long it takes for your guests to relax and enjoy sailing! ;^P But anyway I agree that it's a good idea to make them aware of the dangers.
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.

Lola

Post by Lola »

I find fabric SHOUT IT OUT spray...great for all purpose at home and boat.