Non-skid mould for F32 deck?

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
hhoeksma

Non-skid mould for F32 deck?

Post by hhoeksma »

I just bought the F32 "Mecorian" on YachtWorld. Like most Freedoms it has some gelcoat cracking near the mast on the non-skid area. My fibreglass guy needs to have a rubber/silicone mould to match the non-skid pattern. Does anyone know where I can get this specific pattern? A photo of the non-skid with a crack at about 2x scale is attached.
Attachments
F32 non-skid pattern with crack.
F32 non-skid pattern with crack.
F32 Mould Pattern.jpg (22.08 KiB) Viewed 6760 times
Freedom 32 Hoyt sailing Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia, Canada.

GeoffSchultz

Re: Non-skid mould for F32 deck?

Post by GeoffSchultz »

What I've had done was to have a reverse mold made from the existing pattern and the applied to the new section. I very much doubt that you'd be able to find the same mold.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

Michel

Post by Michel »

Making a reverse mold is not difficult. You need a clean piece of deck with good non-skid and a pint of liquid two part polyurethane resin. If you take a more elastic formulation (durometer Shore A 50 or 60) you get a mold that can be bent slightly to follow the deck.
1. Make a dam around the area with masking take and strips of wood.
2. Spray the area thinly with release agent, making sure you don't fill the non-skid pattern.
3. Pour the liquid resin on the part of a non-skid that you chose as positive mold.
4. If the resin is cured, take it off.

Et voila... you non skid mold.

After repairing the deck, brush two layers of gel coat on it diagonally and press on the non-skid mold. make sure the direction of the pattern matches the deck. Weigh up the pattern mold with mayby half a bucket of water and a sheet of plywood.

I would not use a silicone mold because it's too soft and cannot be pressed hard enough onto the deck to press the pattern in the gel coat.
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.

mike cunningham

Post by mike cunningham »

Hi,

Never done a repair myself but thinking about one. There is a kit sold per below link (also others, just google) to allow you to make your own mold.

http://www.minicraft.com/Retail/Gibco/SRInst01.htm

Also, although I don't think it will work for your interesting weave pattern, MAS epoxies states they have the original Freedom Yachts non skid mold available per following link. I'm guessing that is applicable to the diamond pattern which I have on my 86 Freedom 30 and, I presume, is common on the Mull designed boats. This may be of interest to others on the board.

http://www.masepoxies.com/How_To/Findin ... ttern.html

MIke
Mike Cunningham
Freedom 30 (Mull) Hull #3
Build date...June, 1986 . Freedom Yachts USA, sloop, shoal keel
Gun Mount and pole retrofitted (purchased from a Hoyt Freedom 32)
Yanmar 2gm20F , 1600 hrs fixed two blade prop
e-rud and ocean racing equipment

hhoeksma

Post by hhoeksma »

Thanks everyone. I've contacted MAS Epoxies and my boat is their #312 pattern. They don't sell direct, but now that I know what I need, there are retailers I can buy from. I have so many things to do to get my boat ready for spring that I will let a skilled fibreglass person do this job. Thanks again.
Freedom 32 Hoyt sailing Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia, Canada.

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

I know that you can get MAS from Jamestown Distributors.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org