Self Install Refrigeration recommendations

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
Ereiss

Self Install Refrigeration recommendations

Post by Ereiss »

I need to replace my original 1993 refrig system. I got a quote for someone to install a Sea Frost (which looked like a nice unit) but they wanted $1,400 for the equipment and a like amount for the labor. How difficult can that be? Has anyone done an install? Were there any "watch out for" thoughts you can offer?

Thanks
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

GeoffSchultz

Re: Self Install Refrigeration recommendations

Post by GeoffSchultz »

I completely rebuilt my system from parts based upon a design that I created. I wanted to retain the cold plates, but have a 12V system instead of a split 120V/engine drive system and to switch from R-12 to R-134A. After spending lots of time reading Caulder's Refrigeration book, I knew enough to be dangerous! :-) I ordered everything from http://www.rparts.com/ and wondered what the hell I had gotten myself into when 2 large boxes of parts arrived:

These turned into:

and

and after a considerable amount of tuning and modifications, I've ended up with a system which works GREAT and has very low power draw.

Now, I don't recommend this approach for most people. I'd say that if you're mechanically inclined, that you could easily install a pre-built system. The biggest questions that you need to answer is what voltage will it use, cold plates or evaporator plates and the number of zones.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

Ereiss

Post by Ereiss »

Thanks, Geoff;

I think I will order an assembled unit from SeaFrost and put it in myself. Need to run heavier wiring, I'm told, that should be one of the more interesting parts of the project as I haven't figured out yet how the current presently gets to my old unit from the breaker panel. That's what this Saturday is for.

thanks for your response.
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

ketch22

Post by ketch22 »

Hello Ed,

I replaced the refrigerator in Ketch 22 in early 2004. I wanted to have ice aboard after I arrived in Kaneohe Bay Hawaii after leaving San Francisco in late June. Installation was awkward (as is typical for nearly every installation for a boat) but conceptually simple. After the installation, I paid a refrigeration guy to make a house call and top me up with refrigerant and look at the install. I think I paid about $1200 for the refrigerator and about $200 for the house call and refrigerant. It's worked great ever since, and I can make ice when I need it.

Tom Marlow
Ketch 22

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

Kick ass system Geoff,

George
George and Kerri Huffman S/V Marquesa Freedom 40 CC CK Sail MarquesaImage