bilge

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
shaka2

bilge

Post by shaka2 »

In my Freedom 25 there is a hose that is all the way down into the keel. I followed it up as it goes under the sink and then all the way back, crosses to the other side and just before exiting it enters a plastic block and exits thru the transom on the port side.
There is no pump anywhere? I don't know what the black,plastic block is, but it doesnt appear to be a pump. There is no power to it. And the bilge is full of water.

Thanks
Joe

Tricia

Re: bilge

Post by Tricia »

There's a manual pump in my F25 mounted above the port cockpit locker. The hose certainly has a circuitous route -- it takes more than 40 something pumps to get the first water out!

shaka2

Post by shaka2 »

There is black plastic device tucked up there that certainly looks and feels like it could be a manual pump, but where and the heck is the handle?
Thanks,
Joe

harv17

Post by harv17 »

There should be a hole in that black box that is visable above the port locker. Thole is about 1/2" dia and a rod is inserted to activate the pump.
Regards. Harv Invicta II F-25

brico

Post by brico »

So, Joe,

Did you manage to try and see if this is the pump? I guess anything that can fit in the hole can be used for pump handle temporarily. ;)
shaka2 wrote:There is black plastic device tucked up there that certainly looks and feels like it could be a manual pump, but where and the heck is the handle?
Thanks,
Joe
1986 F36/38
s/v Mirage

shaka2

Post by shaka2 »

Yes, but I feel like an idiot. I looked once and thought no way would the pump be placed where it was. The boat came with an auto helm,which I'd never seen or used before; and I thought the rubberized fitting was to accept something with the autohelm.
Anyway, I tried the pump, and after 40 plus pumps, nothing. Im not sure the thing works.
I will worry about that later, since I've moved onto figuring out the Yanmar and trying to figure out what might work best to clean the stains off the hull-esp those at the waterline.
Thanks for your help. Any advice re my Freedom is welcome.
Joe

Ereiss

Post by Ereiss »

Joe; everything you could want to know about cleaning and polishing the hull can be found on this Sailnet discussion.

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-main ... h-wax.html

Best of Luck, welcome aboard
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

hxschiller

Post by hxschiller »

Joe, As I recall my (former) '82 Freedom 25, the large vinyl hose was coiled in the area under the cockpit, and I had to uncoil it, stick it into the keel sump, and then start pumping. My F-25 was outboard powered. Judging from the discussion, your hose is permanently routed. The pump handle can be any sturdy thing (perhaps a junk shift lever of a small car is a source for such a rod with handle) that firmly fits into the recess in the pump mechanism. As far as where the pump is located; the F-25 emphasizes single-handing (note all lines led to cockpit), and given that, the pump is placed at the helm so that the sailor can pump, steer, and manage sails all at one time from the location in the cockpit. I would check to see what is at the end of the hose down in the sump. The hose entry could be blocked. In addition, I'd advise cutting 2 to 3 3/8" notches at the end of the hose so that it can suck water from the bottom more readily. Lastly, the pump should be inspected. The pump very likely is a diaphragm type, and given its age, the diaphragm may be cracked/ripped.

shaka2

Post by shaka2 »

I think you might be right re the condition of the pump. I will take it down and have a look. Hope I can find a replacement.
There are lots of little jobs to get done before I launch her this spring.
Thanks,
Joe

shaka2

Post by shaka2 »

ED;
Wonderful link re hull cleaning.
Thanks,
Joe