Transom delamination Repair

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
Capitan Sardina

Transom delamination Repair

Post by Capitan Sardina »

Hi Guys,

I have been following the board since the beginning, but have not posted on a loong time. I have the F-40 Cat ketch aft cockpit hull#49.
Love the boat. Actually, I like it so much I spend most of my time on the boat or workin on it and away from the computer 8-) .

This year so far I fixed a largish patch of delamination on the transom. Water was getting in through the holes to hold the hydraulic ram and connect the hoses. TPI did not seal the core there. I had about 3-4 sqr ft of bad balsa. The some of it VERY bad the rest just wet. Also has some water come in from the hull deck stbd corner, i beleieve throug the fasteners that hold the aft pulpit.

It's definetively a place to check in this model. Upon this discovery I poked several (dozens) probing holes (from the inside!) in and around the transom and it was all bone dry (Ufff!)

The solution was to mark and cut out the bad zone. clean replace the core with nes balsa (and solid glass where the hoses & holes go through) and close back up. Better than new.

Some picts of the surgery:

Continues on next msg...

Capitan Sardina

Re: Transom delamination Repair

Post by Capitan Sardina »

There was some wet wood in the rudder also, but luckily it did not extend very far. The rudder there has a very thick solid glass core (about 2-3 in) and two solid "cheeks" of wood (1/4") on each side. Only the wood was of concern, so I gouged it and replaced with epoxy and colodial silica putty.

and once finished

Cheers,
PD edited because of 'orrible spelling (I should not attempt to type late at night or early in the morning :oops: )
Last edited by Capitan Sardina on Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michel

Post by Michel »

Hi Capn Sardina,

A job very well done indeed!
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

Good job!

George
George and Kerri Huffman S/V Marquesa Freedom 40 CC CK Sail MarquesaImage