Bostik?

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
THATBOATGUY

Bostik?

Post by THATBOATGUY »

Anyone use Bostik sealant/adhesive? I'm wondering about it's qualities relative to 3M 4200/5200.

George
George and Kerri Huffman S/V Marquesa Freedom 40 CC CK Sail MarquesaImage

Michel

Re: Bostik?

Post by Michel »

Yes, I'm very fond of the grey putty-like Bostik tape that is supplied between two layers of yellow plastic. I also keep a ball if pinched together Bostik leftovers in a plastic bag for all kind of deck hardware jobs. I have only good experiences with this stuff. It remains flexible and does not glue, so it is not a general purpose caulk. I use it for deck hardware that is screwed of bolted. It's amazingly watertight and easy to use without becoming messy.
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.

whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Yes, I like it lots, if it is what I think it is. It should stay sticky and flexible forever, but it really isn't an adhesive--Only use it where there are mechanical fasteners.

I call it butyl tape, and find it in rolls at RV stores; they use it to install windows & doors in RVs. (There is some other sort of similar stuff I've been told they sometimes use instead because it is easier to apply, but doesn't last as well.)

When I replaced my portlights, I used it to bed them all, although I did use a bead of 3M 101 (polysulfide) around the most visible outside edge instead, as the stuff supplied with the ports was black.

And it is really cheap compared to marine sealants too! I got a big roll for $4.

My other favorite use for it is a temporary seal. When I take something out leave a hole open, I put a little bit of it over the hole. When I was replacing portlights, I rolled a bead of it well outside the big hole, and pressed visqueen over it, and it kept water out and heat in my boat for the winter. Most of it just comes off, and any residue comes off with mineral spirits.

Great stuff.
s/v Flutterby, Freedom 33 cat ketch, now junk rigged

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

I'm familiar with Butyl Rubber. This is a sealant/adhesive similar to 3M 5200. Sorry I wasn't more specific in my original post.

George
George and Kerri Huffman S/V Marquesa Freedom 40 CC CK Sail MarquesaImage