How to remove the moveable portion of the stainless port on

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
Ereiss

How to remove the moveable portion of the stainless port on

Post by Ereiss »

My F38 has lovely stainless ports. One of them has heavy discoloration in the glass and I want to swap the glass with the port in the aft cabin which looks out into the cockpit.

For the life of me I think there should be a way to remove the glass portion of the port (not talking about taking the glass out of the frame). I removed the set screw in the hinge but can't seem to see if the pin can/should be knocked out. don't want to take a hammer to it if the pin can't be removed. Anyone have any experience with this?

As always, thank you for your help.
Attachments
photo-2.jpg
photo-2.jpg (94.79 KiB) Viewed 5237 times
photo-3.jpg
photo-3.jpg (116.03 KiB) Viewed 5237 times
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

GeoffSchultz

Re: How to remove the moveable portion of the stainless port on

Post by GeoffSchultz »

Ed,
The 40/40 uses the same portlights. The pin will come out if driven once the set screws are loosened.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

Ereiss

Post by Ereiss »

Thanks, Geoff. I just didn't want to give it a tap if it wasn't supposed to come out that way. Although I couldn't think of any other way it could work.

regards,
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

Ereiss

Post by Ereiss »

Geoff
maybe I was too tentative but really gave the pins pretty good hits with no indication that they wanted to slide out. Can even see marks in the bottom of the pins from the impacts. Think they need to be sprayed or something? Or do I need to get out a bigger hammer?

Thanks
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

Ed, as you said, there's no other way for this to be assembled. Make sure that the set screws are loose and then, as the saying goes, if all else fails, use a bigger hammer!

-- Geoff

P.S. This reminds me of trying to get the key out of my shaft using a ball peen hammer. It was royally stuck and as I was working on it, Dave Balfour walked by. I asked his opinion and he asked if I had a bigger hammer. Sure enough, the key slid out with a regular hammer!
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

hxschiller

Post by hxschiller »

I think I would remove the setscrews completely, and then use the holes to introduce "Liquid Wrench" to the innards of the hinges. When replacing the pins, I would coat with some NeverSeez, to prevent difficulty in the future.