Dickinson Newport Propane Cabin Heater troubleshooting tip

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
AlanK

Dickinson Newport Propane Cabin Heater troubleshooting tip

Post by AlanK »

I've had one of these for about 4 seasons. At the start of most seasons the burner will not stay lit.
I've never had to actually replace the safety sensor (for the flame/gas) its always been a connection issue. If one unscrews the 2 screws (1 on each side) that hold the bottom grate on one can reach in and wiggle or connect and disconnect the 2 snap in wire connections for the sensor. That resolves it. Probably spraying the contact points with something would also help. Seems over the winter each year there must be some minimal corrosion but since the sensor is very low current its enough to cause a problem (looks clear visually).
Just thought I'd post this in case anyway else has one and has a similar problem.

Van

Re: Dickinson Newport Propane Cabin Heater troubleshooting t

Post by Van »

Sorry Can't help with your start-up problem, but am considering adding a Dickenson Propane heater to a 1997 Freedom 35 and would appreciate any advice you might have. Best location for mounting looks to be in main salon on the starboard forward bulkhead. But am concerned about cutting 3" hole in cabin roof in this location, because of its close proximity to the mast. I suspect the free standing mast requires some extra heavy construction in this area that i don't want to compromise by cutting a hole.