Arch for solar and wind on Freedom 36

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
AYF

Arch for solar and wind on Freedom 36

Post by AYF »

Hi,
I am planning to build an arch on my Freedom 36 to support solar panels, and perhaps other things. Has someone done this already?
I will appreciate pictures, comments, and advices.
Thanks,
AYF

GeoffSchultz

Re: Arch for solar and wind on Freedom 36

Post by GeoffSchultz »

Build a hard dodger and put them on top?

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

AYF

Post by AYF »

It seems that there will be more room on the arch and no shade from the boom, but I am thinking about hard doger as well.
How yours is made? What materials are used for the roof and the windows?

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

My hard dodger was constructed using the frame from my canvas dodger. The joints which used to swivel were replaced with welds. The top and bottom are thin fiberglass sheets with some kind of honeycomb material used as a spacer. The whole things is Awlgripped.

Regarding solar panels: I'm personally not a big fan of solar panels. In my opinion they're expensive and only generate about 1/2 of their rating at maximum output when charging batteries. And note, this is only at high noon on a cloudless day, etc. I'm sure that they actually do generate their rated output when placed into a dead load, but when your batteries are at 12-13V, they're no where near as efficient. For example, I have (2) 56 watt panels. You would expect to see about 9A out of them under ideal circumstances. However, I only see 5 to 5.5A at best (my charging system is well instrumented). Considering the cost of the panels, regulator and in your case, an arch, you're not getting a lot of bang for the buck. These panels now sell for $682 each, or $1364 total. Let's assume that you can generate 5A for 6 hours a day (which is a real stretch). That's 30AH/day or $1364/30 = $45/AH.

Personally I'm a much bigger fan of wind generators. As long as the wind is blowing, they're generating power. Unlike a solar panel, this maybe 24 hours a day, especially if you're in an area where the trade winds blow. A KISS wind generator (which I own, but wouldn't suggest), costs $1165 and generates 4A at 10 kts, 9A at 15 kts and 18A at 20 kts. Lets say you've got 10 kts of wind blowing 24 hours a day. That's 24*4A or 96AH/day or $1165/96=$12/AH.

Granted, the wind doesn't blow consistently, but neither does the sun shine consistently. Given the $45/AH for solar vs $12/AH for wind, it's a no brainer. The ideal solution is a combination of both, which I have, but that's expensive. I have to supplement all of this with a diesel generator and inverter/charger! It all depends upon where you plan to be and how much you need to be off the grid. Of course, this is a boat and we are discussing discretionary spending, so all of this math tends to go out the door when faced with desire! ;)

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40

marno

Post by marno »

I mounted my solar panels on a couple of tubes between the stanchions. It is a pretty cheap way to do it that stays out of the way (they pivot up and down for docking etc.). I have two 85 watt Kyoceras, and they start generating small amounts as soon as the sun comes up, and I generally get to see somewhere in the region of 10 amps out of them for the peak hours in the middle of the day, provided they are not shaded. They are great, no moving parts. I also have a Four Winds II wind generator which generates a lot of power when there is enough wind, but I can only put it up at anchor on a mount on the transom. I got Chesapeake Rigging to fabricate me a mount for the mizzen mast, which they did a beautiful job of making, then they mounted it too low (ie too close to the back of the main) and it got ripped off by the reefing lines......
Marno

F39 Express

AYF

Post by AYF »

Thank you guys for your input.

Geoff:
I am planning to build something very similar to your dodger using the existing frame.

Is it 1 inch tubing used in your frame?
From the picture, I can see that the frame is attached to the deck (through hinges) in two points. Is it rigid enough? Will it support a weight of a peson stepping on it? Any front struts?
Also, I can not see if there are any side and front acrylic panels?

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

I'm headed to the boat tomorrow and will take some pictures of the dodger. It has 2 attachment points and is fairly sturdy. I'm a big guy and I can get on it with all of my weight, but it's not something that I want to do on any regular basis.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40