F36 Bimini

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
plolic

F36 Bimini

Post by plolic »

Would anyone have photos or even better a sketch of a bimini frame for F36? I just picked up a single bow frame from previous owner of my F36 with two braces. No canvas / sunbrella was available. It is pretty tall and attaches on the cockpit coaming so I guess it would lean aft and braces would be used to secure it to the side railing but that would be pretty long piece of canvas / sunbrella to connect to the aft part of the dodger (there is a zipper across the entire width of the dodger). I would expect one more bow to lean forward and support the canvas about half length of the cockpit.

I have tried searching previous posts and archived posts but to no avail. i'd appreciate any help i can get in designing bimini for my F36.

thanks/petar

phildowney

Re: F36 Bimini

Post by phildowney »

if your going to have someone else make up the sunbrella part then i would also get them to do the hoops. i have just completed a bimini on a customers boat, so i could talk you through how its done, if your going to do the job yourself, bear in mind that they are difficult to get right even for pros so do your homework and alow a few days for the job

a quick search on google images should throw up a few ideas

phil
@ sanders sails uk kusi f35 ck

ps we ship sails around the globe but covers... we like to see the boat!
Owner of Kusi, UK F35 Cat ketch
Southampton UK

plolic

Post by plolic »

Good day Phil,

Thank you. I've made a bimini on my previous boat a Dufour 31 and have used a book and made a jig with 2x4s onto which I have secured the frame and ten tailored the bimini. I've got couple of good books on boat canvas and on this forum I was only looking for ideas people have used to make the frame. Once the frame is made canvas is easy to make using some basic rules and measurements.

Using "The complete canvasworker's guide" (by Jim Grant) as reference only difference / difficulty I've experienced when making a bimini was the fact that there was no need to cut a dart in the middle where middle frame bow is. Once completed it was very well made and nicely tihight with good slope for water to drain off.

regards/petar

dwight

Post by dwight »

Many years ago, I formed stainless steel tubing into the required shape for a bow pulpit using a rented tubing bender. These tools are used by electricians to bend metal conduit. Be sure and cover the tool with a layer of tape to prevent scratching the tubing.

After the bows are installed, use a strip of tape along the boat centerline to support the bows in their proper position and make paper templates for each section of the dodger or bimini. Then cut out the material and stitch away.
Dwight Escalera
Accredited Marine Surveyor, SAMS #1024
former engineer at Freedom Yachts
former owner F36-71
Wakefield, RI