1986 F36 converting to walkthrough transom

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
plolic

1986 F36 converting to walkthrough transom

Post by plolic »

Hi,

I am juggling an idea of making a walkthrough transom on my 1986 F36 which has been retrofitted with a "sugar scoop" and is now considered as F38. I do not think it would be too diffcult, just not sure how would it affect boat's structural integrity and strength even though there are no backstay attachments or similar on this section i am thinking on cutting off.
Any ideas or advise is welcome.

Petar

philipl

Re: 1986 F36 converting to walkthrough transom

Post by philipl »

Interesting idea. Sorry i don't have any comments, except to ask you to let us know how it works out!
Philip Leahy
F-38 ex Manchester, MA.

phildowney

Post by phildowney »

hi i would consider consulting a structural engineer who specs grp boats , your insurance company will demand it anyway , great idea as can make water drain out of the cockpit much faster than pipes or tubes! thus the boat is considered more seaworthy. see isaf offshore special regulations for cat 2 racers and see how they look at cockpits
phil
Owner of Kusi, UK F35 Cat ketch
Southampton UK

lfreeman

Post by lfreeman »

How would this effect using the emergency tiller and the integrity of the rudder shaft bearing supports?
Larry
boatless, for now

plolic

Post by plolic »

I believe that the emergency tiller connection to the steering quadrant is below the cockpi sole level so there should be no problems there. Rudder bearing supports are substantial on this boat and are reinforced to the hull area around it so that narrow piece of fiberglass should not be structural member but i may be wrong. I will certainly consult a naval architect but thought someone has already done this...

folotp

Post by folotp »

Hi plolic,

Have you gone forward with this? Have you found any new information about this project that you can share with the board?

Thanks.
Pierre-André Folot
s/v “Farfelu” - Freedom 39 PH 1983, hull #14
Sailing the Thousand Islands and Lake Ontario
Canada

brico

Post by brico »

No, I have not done any more work or research on this. I doubt it is worthwhile doing unless you have a lot of time and place where to do something like that. It may still be a good idea, but it is too much work for me to undertake.
1986 F36/38
s/v Mirage

Knevins

Post by Knevins »

I would be cautious. I don't think this project is a good idea. A few thoughts:

1. Boat will not sail better.
2. Boat will not look better.
3. Walkthrough would weaken the integrity of the aft section of the cockpit.
4. There is not a lot of cockpit floor behind the steering wheel. The aft 'wall' of the cockpit prevents a steerer (or kids) from slipping backwards and falling out of the boat.
5. The aft 'wall' is a good place to sit when steering the 38. It provides a secure place to be in rough weather and the best visability for steering when seated.
6. Although it could probably be done, what are the positive aspects of a walkthrough???

That being said, if you do the project post lots of pics...

Respectfully,

Kerry Nevins
1897 F36/38
Gloucester Point, Virginia
Last edited by Knevins on Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Michel

Post by Michel »

I agree with Kerry Nevins, especially point 3 is noteworthy. The stiffness of a hull is for a large part derived from its bath tub or box shape.

Take for instance a rectangular plastic fridge storage box (curver etc.) and feel the torsional and bending rigidity both in length and width. Now cut out a slot from one of the short ends of the box and feel how that affects the rigidity. Do the test with the lid (the deck) on and off the box. Perhaps you will reconsider your plan.
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.