Glidden Gel-Kote, anyone know?....

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
brico

Glidden Gel-Kote, anyone know?....

Post by brico »

Hi,

My 1986 F36 hull is originally blue in colour. I purchased the boat last year and even then there were signs of some sort of 'clear coat' peeling off at top edges and stern, or in simple terms where blue gelcoat was exposed to sun and not maintaned properly. The stuff that is peeling off is very fine thin film of some sort of clear coat that was applied some time ago, but it seems that previous two owners have not regularly maintained the boat. I am tempted to try and remove that clear coat and do proper compounding and waxing but in order for this to be effective I will have to remove that clear coat. It will have to be chemically removed and not mechanically so not to damage the gell coat. I am trying to gfigure out what that clear coat may be. Looking through boat's original papers, they have used "Glidden Gel-Kote" product, but I am not sure if this is actual gelcoat that was used or the gelcoat protection of some sort that is now finally peeling off, or perhaps someone in the past applied several coats of 'Poliglow". Does anyone know what thst Glidden Gel-Kote stuff is?
Any leads on this are much appreciated
1986 F36/38
s/v Mirage

OldRover

Re: Glidden Gel-Kote, anyone know?....

Post by OldRover »

Glidden did make a clear neo gel-kote. I have seen it used as a top protective layer (or outermost layer if using a mold) basically same as clearcoat paint. I don't know if Freedom used it at the factory, maybe done later. Personally I think that going the chemical route may net more problems. I'd take it down using a DA and then buff the blue gel-kote. Just my 2 cents.
'82 F39 ph

brico

Post by brico »

I spoke with a knowledgeable guy in a local chandlery shop and asked for advice. he said that he remembers several north american boat builders instead of waxing the boat applied a clear coat of some sort over gelcoat which was used as "no maintenance" sale pitch which was used by Freedom yachts as well. it may have looked good for a number of years and did not require regular waxing of the hull but as I described in my original post is started breaking up and looking pretty ugly. This guy recommended automotive paint/lacquer remover. He said other paint removers could damage/soften the gelcoat. So i bought a spray can of it and tried out on my transom. Works like a charm and strips that clear coat right off. little gentle scrape with a plastic spatula helps to get it off. Wash it and wax it and the boat is back in normal condition. Thanks god I found the right stuff instead of mechanically sanding it off. Anyone having same issue, try it out. :mrgreen:
1986 F36/38
s/v Mirage

OldRover

Post by OldRover »

Glad it worked out well for you! I never have good luck with chemical strippers. For me it usually does not penetrate enough or too much and I loose lower layers.
'82 F39 ph