Bootstripe Water line

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
1980raven

Bootstripe Water line

Post by 1980raven »

For the past 18 months i have been restoring a 1980, F28 cat ketch (s/v Raven) with old wishbone rig and centerboard. I replaced 60% of the balsa deck and cabin top coring (from the deck side). Over the summer I finally finished new Awlgrip paint on deck, cabin and cockpit. Now I am going to paint the topsides. I stripped off the former paint from the topsides and the existing painted bootstripe. The painted waterline matches exactly the gelcoat water line for the aft 2/3. The forward 1/3 starts at the original water line and tapers up to the bow which is about 2" above the original water line. Any idea why? I have never had this boat in the water so I can't verify the water line. Thanks for your help
Freedom 28 CK Hull# 14, centerboard, wrap around sails with WB booms
Narragansett Bay, RI

Mike Holibar

Re: Bootstripe Water line

Post by Mike Holibar »

Usually I would expect the waterline to be straight because water is flat. Maybe someone painted the line that way for cosmetic/aesthetic reasons. The other possibility is some change in the trim of the vessel, perhaps extra anchor chain for example, may have put her down by the head, and the po didn't know how to change the full waterline?
Mike Holibar
S/V Fyne Spirit of Plymouth (Freedom 39PHS-1989)
Lyttelton
New Zealand

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

I think that your only real choice is to put her in the water and see where the real waterline is.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

1980raven

Post by 1980raven »

Thanks for your feedback. It's not practical to launch this year. There is so much work left to do. I was successful in contacting the boat's former owner (2 owners prior to me)and asked him the question. It turns out that when he first owned the boat the factory water line was always under water. He painted the new water line to coincide with where she floated.
Freedom 28 CK Hull# 14, centerboard, wrap around sails with WB booms
Narragansett Bay, RI