F25 Sliding Hatch fittings

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
johncd3141

F25 Sliding Hatch fittings

Post by johncd3141 »

The cockpit hatch on my Freedom 25 slides in a pair of white plastic U channels, about 3/4" X 3/4" on the outside. Counter sunk screws and bedding compound hold them in place. A combination of age, UV and misplaced feet cracked off pieces up the upper surface and has me looking to replace them. Does anyone know a good product to use for these U channels?

Thanks

R. Bush

Re: F25 Sliding Hatch fittings

Post by R. Bush »

I had mine replaced with some heavy gauge aluminum U-channel. If you jumped up and down on the new ones I suppose you could bend them, but other than that they seem pretty indestructable. I suggest you remove one of your old channels and take it in to your local aluminum fabrication shop. The guy who did mine said he used a standard piece of stock to make them. The are not exactly the same as the originals, but they work just fine and cost a lot less them having custom ones made to exactly match the original.
F25 "Small Axe"
Okanagan Lake, BC

peaceandfreedom

Re: F25 Sliding Hatch fittings

Post by peaceandfreedom »

The easiest, quickest and cheapest way to fix the cracked hatch channel is reuse the existing channels after you switch them port to stb. and front to back. There is plenty of perfectly good channel under the hatch slide cover. You will have to cut the compound angles at the ends and drill and counter sink new screw holes.

Jim D