F25 Forward Hatch Replacement

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
Jack Woods

F25 Forward Hatch Replacement

Post by Jack Woods »

I was wondering if anyone has replaced the forward opening hatch in their F25. If so could you tell me about it?
Thanks,
Jack
1983 F25 round mast #184 Badaka
Yanmar diesel

yarrow

Re: F25 Forward Hatch Replacement

Post by yarrow »

I took mine out last winter, rebuilt it and put back in.
82' F25 winged spar, inboard diesel
95' B3 I-14
providence RI

Jack Woods

Post by Jack Woods »

Yarrow,
Mine is plastic and all the tie down ears are broken off. I'm going to have to replace the whole thing.
Yanmar diesel

R. Bush

Post by R. Bush »

What part of your fastening hardware is broken? Both of the screw pieces from my hatch had broken off. I took the cover into my local machine shop and they made me up a couple of new brackets and attached them to the hatch with rivets. Not the most beautiful thing, but not all that noticable either. It cost me about 20 bucks and I saved the time and labour of replacing the hatch. I think a new hatch would have been several hundred dollars.
F25 "Small Axe"
Okanagan Lake, BC

unfetteredalexandria

Post by unfetteredalexandria »

I replaced mine a few years ago. Here's what I can remember and/or have written down about the project.

Size of cutout: 19-3/4 x 19-7/8
Possible replacements: Lewmar Size 60 Lo Profile, Bomar Lo Profile 1000, Bomar 900 Series, Bomar Cruising Series Sea Breeze, Maxwell Slimline, Taylor High Seas, Taylor High Seas Ultra III. All of these were around $500 at the time if memory serves.

I went with the Lewmar. I added a retro fit vent, and a flyscreen.

I don't remember any issues getting the old one out or the new one in. I do remember I spent quite a bit of time scraping the mating surface clean of whatever bedding compound had been used.

One other thing that stands out in memory: the underside of the cabin top is curved, but the flyscreen needs a flat surface against which to mount. So I fabricated a couple of inserts to fill the gap from some wood scraps.
1984 round-mast Freedom 25
Western Shore of the Chesapeake

Jack Woods

Post by Jack Woods »

Thanks for the info. I measured it before I covered it and came up with measurements like yours. I've seen it listed as 19x19 but it really isn't. I'll get something nice like you did and be done with it. I just got the boat and I think the frame and broken ears ( for the hold owns) are basically a plastic....

I've never sailed one of these and can't wait. What's the real displacement and DWL?
I've seen 3,500 and 3,950 in some of the files on this site. I've also seen the DWL listed as 20 feet. Recently I saw the DWL listed as 22.5 which seems about right to me.

Appreciate your feedback.
Jack
Yanmar diesel

unfetteredalexandria

Post by unfetteredalexandria »

I have often wondered what the "real" m and DWL are. If you are able to get some reliable data or measurements, please post them!
1984 round-mast Freedom 25
Western Shore of the Chesapeake