Strength of the Pilot House on the Freedom 39PH

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
folotp

Strength of the Pilot House on the Freedom 39PH

Post by folotp »

Hi,

Does anyone have any opinion, or better yet real life experience, with the strength of the pilot house superstructure of the Freedom 39? How strong is it really? Would it be able to withstand breaking waves from a survival type storm? How about the large windows? Is their framing strong enough? As anybody done anything to reinforce the pilot house or the windows for offshore sailing?

Thanks.

Pierre-André
Pierre-André Folot
s/v “Farfelu” - Freedom 39 PH 1983, hull #14
Sailing the Thousand Islands and Lake Ontario
Canada

Michel

Re: Strength of the Pilot House on the Freedom 39PH

Post by Michel »

Salut Pierre-André,

There is an other Canadien on this board, Alain, who has an F39PH. He may be able to comment on your question. A link to the website of his boat: http://naiade5.cyberquebec.ca/

Best,
Michel
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.

Alain

Post by Alain »

folotp wrote:Real life experience, with the strength of the pilot house superstructure of the Freedom 39? How strong is it really? Would it be able to withstand breaking waves from a survival type storm?
Salut P-A,
The front end of the PH is resting on the main mast partner crossbeam at the deck level. Probably the stiffest and stongest part the hull:
4.jpg
4.jpg (93.92 KiB) Viewed 7188 times
The rear of the PH is supported/stiffened by the main saloon/rear cabin bulkhead:
IMG_0509.jpg
IMG_0509.jpg (79.99 KiB) Viewed 7188 times
The PH roof itself is 1 1/2" thick sandwich.
Seeing the tinted windows from the outside is misleading. Inside, there is a vertical strut at mid-length of the window panel on both side windows. These struts support the roof as well as the windows, as you will see on this picture:
IMG_0507.jpg
IMG_0507.jpg (81.74 KiB) Viewed 7188 times
A couple of people stepping on the PH roof, say for installing the sail cover on, does not induce any "sprigning" of the roof; it is definitly rigid and strong.
Finally, the windows are 3/8" polycarbonate, not plexiglass. I've done considerable research on the material, it is tough (see for exemple http://www.makrolon.com/bms/db-rsc/makr ... heeting_EN). At one point, I considered replacing the windows on my PH, but polycarb people told me the material will be affected by UV on the long term, but not to a point where strength is significantly altered.
I hope this answers your questions,
Alain
Alain
Naïade, F39PH '83, Montréal

folotp

Post by folotp »

Merci Alain!
Pierre-André Folot
Canada

IandI

Post by IandI »

hello. i am wondering if the Freedom 39 was build with an encapsulated keel or is it bolted to the hull?
Thanks
Steve

folotp

Post by folotp »

The F39 has an encapsulated keel with lead balast.
Pierre-André Folot
Canada