F 33 Propane Locker Drain question

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
soundboy

F 33 Propane Locker Drain question

Post by soundboy »

We are redoing the propane locker on our F 33. The locker is located in the transom behind the helm. There is a drain hole about and inch above the bottom of the locker that exits behind the rudder. It appears that there is a space between the outer hull and the inside of the locker as I can put 8 " of tie wrap into the hole and not have it appear on the other side. It seems like any leaking propane would have a direct route to the bilge. Anyone have any experience with this ?

al mcguire
" tanstaafl "
jacksonville fl

Rodent

Re: F 33 Propane Locker Drain question

Post by Rodent »

I have a Freedom 33 which I am doing extensive work on, and have removed the rudder. I will take a look when I go back to the boat in a day or two and let you know what I find. It's not a problem for me as the boat has a Taylors paraffin cooker, so no gas on board.

Roy Denton

Rodent

Re: F 33 Propane Locker Drain question

Post by Rodent »

Hi Al,

Even with the rudder off it is hard to see into the drain hole. There seem to be two solid layers of grp with a gap of under 0.5" within the overall thickness of around 1". Probing with a thin piece of copper wire the gap felt gummy, but I couldn't probe very far in due to the geometry. The gumminess could be a thin layer of balsa which has deteriorated, or some kind of deposit which has built up over time. If you are worried you could rake out the gap for a few milimetres, fill with thickened epoxy and redrill the drain hole.

Good Luck,

Roy Denton.