wheel cover for 40/40

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
Paul Langevin

wheel cover for 40/40

Post by Paul Langevin »

Hello all Freedom owners. I am new to the Forum just completing our first year of owning Freedom 40/40 hull #11- Star Struck. After spending the summer with Paul Dennis at Warren River Boatworks, we are undertaking some of the easier, non-essential tasks needed to make the boat our own. One such job is replacing the leather wheel cover. The wheel is a 60" aluminum model (stock with the boat). Researching replacement covers I have found that there are several designs (D, oval etc.) and I was wondering if anyone can provide some guidance as to which make/model provides the best fit for the 40/40 60" wheel? Thanks in advance for your advice. Paul
Paul Langevin S/V StarStruck, Freeedon 40/40

Craig

Re: wheel cover for 40/40

Post by Craig »

I had a custom cover made by Thurston Sails out of Warren RI. They are close to Paul's, and they did a nice job. I had the cover made to cover the wheel, binnacle and radar chart plotter.
It is a little complex in shape due to the twists and turns.
You can come see it in Barrington RI in the spring when the cover comes off.

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

Are you looking at replacing the actual leather-like material that is on the wheel itself or having a cover made for the wheel? Very different beasts.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

Paul Langevin

Post by Paul Langevin »

Geoff- I was referring to the leather cover (grip) for the wheel itself. I've seen the Edson regular and deluxe but not sure how they will fit on the aluminum wheel which I thought was Lewmar. I handstitched a cover on my old boat's Edson stainless wheel and ws planning to do the same on the Freedom wheel. Paul
Paul Langevin S/V StarStruck, Freeedon 40/40