Gelcoat crazing

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
Rodent

Gelcoat crazing

Post by Rodent »

My F33, hull no. 57, which I have owned for six months, has much crazing in the gelcoat. On the topsides this is mainly star crazing, more on the starboard side than on the port, and with the centres of some stars lifting and becoming broken off. The hull and balsa have been stripped internally from 1' above the keel to the deck edge and layed up with multi layers of biaxial glass and epoxy, with foam strips and more layers forming whalings - this appears soundly done, but may have something to do with the crazing on the exterior. On the deck and coachroof the crazing is random short lines in all directions, largely restricted to the textured darker painted areas, but propagating from there sometimes into the smooth areas. Some textured areas are unaffected, like the cockpit locker lids, and the coachroof below where the plywood dighy has been stored upside down (for at least four years I believe). Originally kept in the US until four or five years ago she spent three years in Brazil, Uruguay and South Africa, so sunlight and heat could be a factor. Is this a common problem, or a bad batch of gelcoat, and what does anyone recommend I do about it?

Roy.