Sheered Mast. Freedom40

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
temmons10

Sheered Mast. Freedom40

Post by temmons10 »

Morning to all and to all I need help:)

We sheered the mizzen mast and now are in conflict with insurance company so I need a bit of help IF anyone actually knows, has renderings, pictures or information on where to obtain said.
the problem::
with cabinets removed to access the step I find a solid bulkhead running from starboard to the centerboard housing. (step bolts through this bh) Running from the centerboard housing to port the bulkhead is approximately 5inches and then hits the Fridge/Freezer box. It does not run all the way to the port side.
If my Fridge/freezer box is original as I believe, then the bulkhead never ran all the way. This is what I need to know. Did the bulkhead ever run all the way across and someone at some point cut it out or is it as manufactured? the basis of insurance not taking care of the claim is that the integrity of the step was compromised by the bulkhead being removed. I am saying: if this is the only Freedom 40 the insurance surveyor has ever been on then where did he get his information since after two months I can find no information about this bulkhead at all.

one last thing. the insurance surveyor is saying " 5/16th inch by 3 1/2 inch long bolts used in mounting the step were to small" does anyone know the size of the bolts Tillitson-Pearson used when it was built? Ive tried for weeks to get hold of Hoyt, Tillitson and Pearson to no avail.

I am extremely thankful I found this site and they allowed me to join. I only wish I had found it two months ago. I thank you all ahead of time for your help
Temmons10
Attachments
bulkhead location
bulkhead location
2007984_31.jpga.jpgb.jpg (80.95 KiB) Viewed 7543 times

Teke's Pride

Re: Sheered Mast. Freedom40

Post by Teke's Pride »

Temmoms10,

I know nothing about the Freedom 40 other than I want one eventually.

I am curious however, as to where the sheer occurred on the mizzen. Did the bolts sheer at the step (if not what difference does the bolt size make) or did the mast itself snap at some point above or below the coach roof? Can you post any photos of the damage?
Clark Myers
Teke's Pride
F21 #345

Black Finn
F40 AC CK #41

Browns Creek Sailing Association
Guntersville, AL
http://www.youtube.com/LambdaZetaTeke

temmons10

Post by temmons10 »

well sir all the bolts sheered and two of the step welds broke. coming across the mouth of the Potomac I hit 5 or 6 series of pairs of 8ft waves. during this onslaught I observed the mast twist about 5 inches to starboard. Sent my son to the bow and said don't come back. then I hit a series of 7 or 8 waves of the same size and the mast came down. one bolt pulled out of the fiberglass plate while the others sheered.
Insurance is saying the step had been worked on before but with my 40 yrs on the water I can tell you their surveyor didn't know squat. he had never even been on a freedom40. In fact neither had the rigger.
the freedom40 is one of the most sturdy boats ever built and Ive yet to find anywhere this has happened before.

if I didn't have this freedom I'd have another one just like it.

thanks for your reply and take care.

Hans

Post by Hans »

I would contact Paul Dennis at Warren River Boatworks, Warren R.I. He worked for many years at the Freedom Yard and I consider him the best authority concerning Freedom boats.
He'll probably can give you the info you want. I wish you success, and please keep us Freedom owners posted on the development. Damage to the boat and how insurance companies
handle the freestanding mast issues concerns us all.
Hans Hansen, Makkum,The Netherlands.
Freedom 45AC #47 "Scherezade".

Capitan Sardina

Post by Capitan Sardina »

That is susprising. We just completed an Atlantic crossing in a Freedom 40 (aft cockpit) and both mast steps felt rock solid. They where thoroughly tested during the crossing, specially during a whole week of 20-30 kts of wind against current in the Western Approaches that generated very uncomfortable square waves.

The base bolts are quite substatial but require retightening every now and then. I have thightened mine three times in the last five years (inc. before and after the crossing). I can't immagine them failing in shear, moreover the main mast bolts are the same size and should be even more stressed since it carries more sail area & heigth and the arm distance between the step and the deck is shorter.

Good luck with you r claim. Let us know how it goes.

cheers

bad

Post by bad »

I have Hull #21, aluminum masts and aluminum steps. The mizzen is bolted onto a horizontal floor, aft of the cable tube for the centerboard, but forward of the bulkhead separating the cabin from the engine room. There is no connection between the step and the bulkhead. My bolts are 1/2" I believe.

Erik

rds

Post by rds »

This is one of the factory diagrams I got with my F44. It is exactly how my mast steps are secured in place. Interesting enough is this doc. states that 'top hat' is supposed to be glued to the hull with epoxy in addition to 3 stainless bolts ? I recall removing my main mast 2 years ago, 'top hat ' was secured to hull with just 2 long bolts as one part. I believe bolts were original , 3/4 in. diameter. The third short bolt (and the bracket) prevents rotation of the mast but also joins 'top hat' to hull.
Attachments
20131106_205811.jpg
20131106_205811.jpg (95.52 KiB) Viewed 7403 times

temmons10

Post by temmons10 »

To all I say thank you. some information I am sure will help. Some I'm not to sure of but I am looking into all.
to reply to a couple of you and I'm sure you'll be able to tell to whom I mean.
..... the freedom ac is quite different than the 40cc from what I can tell from you drawing . the mounting is quite different. I would imagine since this is hull number 7 many changes to upgrade the boats were installed over time and I actually think if we look at the gentleman who has hull number 21 of the cc we would find his step different than mine as well. Not that I would know for sure I am just saying his step is probably better in design than mine do to the work and learn thing. if my step was not 800 miles away on a truck headed to Key Largo with my mast I'd take a picture of it so we could see for sure. I am uploading a drawing of the step which I tried to put together to help explain. be kind please---I did the best I could since I grew up with a pencil and pad not Microsoft Paint.
.....to the gentleman who has tightened up the bolts a few times.... I most certainly will from now on. LoL I should have gotten one of my kids to do it probably.
.....I thank you for the name paul dennis. I have sent an email to him in hopes he can help.
.....three days ago I spent 10 hrs in 25 to 30 knot winds and my main was solid as a rock. Man can this baby move running with the wind and with only the one mast.
step.jpg
step.jpg (96.16 KiB) Viewed 7333 times