Original engine running hours?

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
brico

Original engine running hours?

Post by brico »

Hi,

As some may have noted i have listed my 1986 F36 for sale with original Yanmar 3GM30F running strong even after 3400 hours. Just done the oil sample analysis which returned with excellent results. What sort of hours are you guys having out there on your original engines? The dealer is a bit sceptical saying that for smaller marine engines anything over 3000 hours is seen as very high hours and people are reluctant to go for the boat in fear of future issues with the engine.
1986 F36/38
s/v Mirage

GeoffSchultz

Re: Original engine running hours?

Post by GeoffSchultz »

I have 4,680 on my Yanmar 3JH-2TBE engine and it's running very well and I see no reason that it won't continue to. It has only been used for propulsion and never for charging/refrig, which is where a lot of people get into trouble.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

jdpandlp

Post by jdpandlp »

I have 3645 hrs on a yanmar 4jhe. Starts easy, runs good, normal maintenance only.

cberdie

Post by cberdie »

Hi;
My Perkins 4108 just passed the 5,000 hour mark and is going fine, (like all things English it leaks oil and burns some). I use it to charge the battery and freezer and provide hot water at anchor. I have been told by old Perkins hands that they should run at least 12,000 hours with proper care, and that some are going after 25,000 plus hours.

With that said, most sailors don't like things internal combustion and like to ignore anything so dirty and smelly. I've been told by Nigel Calder that the average sailboat engine will last about 5,000 hours. I change oil and filters, both oil and fuel, at least every 100 hours and prior to winter storage. I also check oil and water levels before I start the engine every time. In my opinion, how long the engine lasts is in the owners hands.

Carl Berdie
Running Free

daletournier

Post by daletournier »

I also have 3400 on my 3gm30f and it runs great. I was recently talking to guy that had 9000 hrs on his bigger yanmar.
Cheers Dale
Freeform.