Replacing Fuel Tanks on 1985 Pilothouse Schooner

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
suberix

Replacing Fuel Tanks on 1985 Pilothouse Schooner

Post by suberix »

Fellow sailors,

This week we are replacing the fuel tanks on our 1985 Pilothouse Schooner. We have taken most of the saloon apart and are down to the stringers. Both tanks appear to be in decent condition, although the previous owner has told me they both leak.
If anyone as advice, opinions, or criticism, please, do share.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (67.92 KiB) Viewed 3604 times

Kimber

Re: Replacing Fuel Tanks on 1985 Pilothouse Schooner

Post by Kimber »

I thought I liked the interior of the schooner until now that I see where your fuel tanks are located. That does not look like fun at all. Granted tanks are something that shouldn't need attention for a very long time and weight down that low is a good thing. Compromises, compromises...
Good luck and enjoy the holidays!
1985 F39 Express

OldRover

Re: Replacing Fuel Tanks on 1985 Pilothouse Schooner

Post by OldRover »

I did have a leaky port side tank. Actually looked like a screw had been run through and not from corrosion. I replaced both tanks even though the other held 5 psi since it is a job best tackled only every couple of decades and I don't much life left in 30 year old tanks. The most important thing is to completely remove all of the original bedding foam. In my case case this was a no-brainer since much of it was saturated with diesel. But even if there is no visible leak, the foam often hides pinhole leaks. At any rate, that foam holds onto liquids (diesel and water) which can lead to tank corrosion and odors. I would also advise against using foam to bed the new tanks. I used a few edpm hockey pucks as spacers on the tank bottoms and strapped the tanks down. I saw another fellow who did a real nice job shaping a set of wood stringers and then 'glassing into place. His straps were secured to these stringers. With air circulating around the tanks they will last longer and any issues will be noticed much sooner than if bedded in foam.
Also, the original tank manufacturer located in FL still has the drawings and can fabricate original replacement tanks. I opted to have a local aluminum fabricator do my tanks using the existing as a pattern. He used slightly thicker aluminum and cost was considerably less especially since there was no shipping. I definitely wanted to keep the original capacity and not use a pre-fab which would have cut capacity in half.
Hope that helps.
'82 F39 ph