Opening port dogs and gaskets 1988 F36

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
Nengaku

Opening port dogs and gaskets 1988 F36

Post by Nengaku »

I need to find replacement dogs and gaskets for my 1988 F36. The dogs are about 2 1/4 " long. The ports have no manufacturer indicated and the Bomar parts supplier doesn't have dogs that small so I assume they are not Bomar. Anybody have any experience with this? Thanks
Roger Cunningham
S/V Selkie
San Francisco

sailmon

Re: Opening port dogs and gaskets 1988 F36

Post by sailmon »

Did you talk directly to the customer service department at Pomponette Bomar? I'm pretty sure the opening ports on my 1987 Freedom 30 and 1991 Freedom 38 were both Bomar. Sadly, Freedom's production records were destroyed - but I recall Bomar's customer service department knowing exactly which ports and hatches were used on my boats when I gave them the monthy and year they were manufactured. I haven't purchased dawgs, but I have purchased gasketing and lenses over the years.
Sailmon (Captain Bob Allenick)
S/V Her Diamond
1991 Freedom 38
Cleveland, OH

mike cunningham

Post by mike cunningham »

Guys, I posted an original factory bill of material for a 1986 freedom 30. This might be helpful. Are you talking about the plastic ports which are beckson? The 30 has only one metal port in the aft cabin hull. That one is a bomar with simple screw down dogs.
Mike Cunningham
Freedom 30 (Mull) Hull #3
Build date...June, 1986 . Freedom Yachts USA, sloop, shoal keel
Gun Mount and pole retrofitted (purchased from a Hoyt Freedom 32)
Yanmar 2gm20F , 1600 hrs fixed two blade prop
e-rud and ocean racing equipment

Tricia

Post by Tricia »

Mike, my 1987 F30 has no plastic ports. I'm pretty sure the aluminum ports are all Bomar. I talked to someone there about replacing the screens, but they don't make that model any more. The dogs are probably more easily replaceable.

Nengaku

Post by Nengaku »

For those following this discussion it turns out I have Bomar 3000 Series ports. When I reached out for help from the folks at Pompanette they were wonderfully helpful. They have the dogs and gaskets I need but just don't have them in their online catalogue. So all is good.
Roger Cunningham
S/V Selkie
San Francisco