Esoteric part

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
F32Circle

Esoteric part

Post by F32Circle »

I'm sure every part on a boat has a proper name, but I don't know this one: the short metal stud about 5/16 dia protruding an inch or so straight down out of the hull, just in front of the leading edge of the rudder. It is intended to prevent a small warp like a lobster trap line from becoming caught between the top of the rudder and the hull. I assume this was factory-installed on the Hoyt F32s? Anyway we managed to break ours off a quarter inch or so into the hull.
So my question: Are they threaded and screwed into metal in the hull, or just imbeded or screwed into the fiberglass hull? Would be very helpful to know so I can either work to extract the stub end and make and thread in a new one, or just drill out the remains plus some fiberglass and then epoxy in a replacement. Anybody know? Or have experience with this? Or want to tell me this wasn't a factory item on the F32? (My PO was a pretty clever craftsman.)
Thanks,
Dale
F32 Hull #67, Saybook CT.
Yanmar 3GMF, Loose-footed Main, MaxProp, Ronca, Muir windlass,
Heart Interface inverter/charger, SeaFrost

Rick Simonds

Re: Esoteric part

Post by Rick Simonds »

Mine doesn't have one and in 30 years I've never heard of one ever mentioned on an F32.

I'll take a SWAG that it's the PO's (really very good) idea, not a factory option.

Rick
Tallahassee

F32Circle

Re: Esoteric part

Post by F32Circle »

Thanks, Rick. I'll see if I can learn any more about this, and I hope to effect a replacement, probably made from a SS bolt.
F32 Hull #67, Saybook CT.
Yanmar 3GMF, Loose-footed Main, MaxProp, Ronca, Muir windlass,
Heart Interface inverter/charger, SeaFrost