Haul-out issues

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
rvivian

Haul-out issues

Post by rvivian »

After three years of refit Heart's Desire is finally on the hard in Port Townsend for installation of Copper Coat, Norscott seal rebuild, new depth and speed transducers and an Autostream feathering prop.

After 20 or so miles of the 90 mile trip we experienced "propeller noise" and then overheating, but continued on. Nothing on the engine was too hot to touch. When she was hauled the cutlass bearing was out of the strut and held in place only by a zinc near the front of the strut. So now she is getting a new shaft and cutlass bearing as well.

Checked the raw water strainer and water pump and found no problem. Antifreeze is up to snuff, so we will try installing a new thermostat before heading home. Any suggestions on this issue are welcome, I don't want to ruin the good old 2GM20F.

I drove up to Port Townsend to take a peek this morning.

Four coats of Copper coat are on and she is ready to be re-blocked to finish the keel and support pad locations.

The speed and depth transducers are out and I need to report that the factory did nothing to protect the balsa core around the holes except the 5200 bedding. Balsa is dry.

Shaft is ordered and coupling is being machined. Re-splash is scheduled for April 25 or 28th and then back to Shelton.
Heart's Desire
Freedom 30
Shelton, WA

sailmon

Re: Haul-out issues

Post by sailmon »

Shaft noise and damaged cutlass bearing is curious. Was shaft scored?
If it was just an engine overherating ptoblem, there are so many possible causes - but one common culprit is the coolant tank (radiator type) cap. The cap is responsible for maintaining system pressure, and failure can cause overheating.
Sailmon (Captain Bob Allenick)
S/V Her Diamond
1991 Freedom 38
Cleveland, OH

rvivian

Post by rvivian »

Hi -

Thanks for the reply.

Yes. the shaft was scored quite a bit where the strut was. The cutlass bearing was forward of the strut with only about 1/8" in the front edge of the strut, held in place by one of the zincs on the shaft just forward of the strut. The yard guys said they have never seen a failure mode like this one.

The cutlass bearing was the type that is held in place by a set screw in the strut. Apparently whoever installed it did not dimple the cutlass bearing tube to keep it in place. There was also evident caulk or some other type of filler on the cutlass body in attempt to keep it in place.

Hopefully the overheating was related to overloading by the friction of the bearing, but I'm changing the thermostat anyway. It sat quite a bit over the last three years.
Heart's Desire
Freedom 30
Shelton, WA

fmolden

Post by fmolden »

I would also take a look at the exhaust mixing elbow. They tend to clog/corrode and limit exhaust water flow. I have also heard of birds nesting in the exhaust pipe.

sailmon

Post by sailmon »

A bit off the topic - but I have an interesting story about birds nesting in the exhaust system. I used to be concerned about birds setting up a home in the exhaust pipe of my F30. Each year, once the boat was on the hard - but before the shrink wrapper came to cover us for the winter, I would stuff a rag in the exhaust pipe. About 10 years ago, I got an alarmed call from the shrink wrapper - apologizing for setting my transom on fire. His assistant failed to pull the rag from the exhaust before covering and shrinking the transom area. The rag began smoldering - burning up the exterior rubber exhaust pipe and melting the gelcoat in a 3 sq. foot area above the exhaust pipe. Now I just push a plastic beverage cup into the exhaust pipe (after drinking the beer of course). I also changed shrink wrapping companies.
S/V Her Diamond
1991 Freedom 38
Cleveland, OH

rvivian

Post by rvivian »

Is there a procedure for "looking at" the exhaust elbow? Mine looks fine from the outside, but what do I do to inspect it?

Does one disassemble the exhaust hose connection and poke around and maybe inspect with a mirror or should the elbow be removed and cleaned in some way?

What to look for?

This is my first diesel after spending 35 years maintaining an Atomic 4.
Heart's Desire
Freedom 30
Shelton, WA

sailmon

Post by sailmon »

I've been told that if the engine is more than 10 years old, the elbow should be removed and sent for inspection and repair (if necessary). Not terribly hard to remove - but requires some contortions. On our 3GM30F, it took me about 20 minutes to remove and about an hour to reinstall. It's been a couple of years - but if memory serves, it involved removal of 4 bolts and 2 hoses. I did the removal and reinstall but my boat yard sent it out for inspection - so I'm not sure hat kind of service facility would do that kind of work.
S/V Her Diamond
1991 Freedom 38
Cleveland, OH

rvivian

Post by rvivian »

Thanks.

Maybe I'll just try to buy a new one and be done with that for a while.

1987 is a lot longer than 10-years. Funny, the exhaust elbow was not listed under the over-heating troubleshooting list.
Heart's Desire
Freedom 30
Shelton, WA

mike cunningham

Post by mike cunningham »

I replaced my 2GM20F elbow two years ago after the water inject port became completely blocked (after at least 13 years of use).
I believe the elbow cost around $180. I think if there is any question about an older elbow you might as well replace it. Can't imagine inspection and cleaning would be much cheaper.

Mike
Mike Cunningham
Freedom 30 (Mull) Hull #3
Build date...June, 1986 . Freedom Yachts USA, sloop, shoal keel
Gun Mount and pole retrofitted (purchased from a Hoyt Freedom 32)
Yanmar 2gm20F , 1600 hrs fixed two blade prop
e-rud and ocean racing equipment

sailmon

Post by sailmon »

Mike,
Excellent suggestion. I think I paid $90 to have mine cleaned and rebuilt (they added material to internal baffle). If I had known replacement was only $180, I would have jumped on it. Guess that's what I get for listening to my boatyard without asking more questions. No shortcuts when it comes to boat ownership.
Summer's almost here. Happy sailing.
Bob
S/V Her Diamond
1991 Freedom 38
Cleveland, OH