Hoyt 32 Strut for Shaft

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
sforgey1

Hoyt 32 Strut for Shaft

Post by sforgey1 »

The strut that supports the propeller shaft on my Freedom 32 is shot.

Apparently the grounding connection on the shaft was severed and galvanic corrosion has killed it dead. The zinc on the shaft doesn't protect it.

Any idea where the originals were made or how I could get one? I heard that one company makes many of them for the bulk of boat manufactures. I can get a new one made for about $600 but it will take a week and the yard charges for the 2 weeks will not be cheap.

Even a few details on the construction and how it attaches would be useful.

I am limping along until then.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Scott
s/v Girlfriend
Scott Forgey
Ft. Lauderdale & San Jose
Girlfriend - Hoyt 32 - 1985 Hull #81

Rick Simonds

Re: Hoyt 32 Strut for Shaft

Post by Rick Simonds »

Electrolysis ate mine about 10 years ago, too. The bottom of it was gone completely, the cutlass bearing was still on the shaft, it just wiggling free in the water with nothing holding it. I wondered why the shaft was making a clunking noise all the time!

I was in the yard and couldn't find one or even anything about who made them. I had the same problem with the potential for huge yard bills just waiting for one. I ended up taking 2" strips of fiberglass tape and epoxy and taping a new cutlass bearing on the bottom of the strut. I just taped around the new cutlass bearing and the strut, like you would wrap an ace bandage around a sprained ankle. A little sanding and shaping as the tape hardened and, presto, the new cutlass bearing was in place. 5 years later when I was out for bottom paint and I just ground it all off and re-did all it again, just the same way.

It isn't the "right" way to do it, but it works!

If you find a new strut, post the specifics about it. I may do it right next time.

Rick
Tallahassee

sforgey1

Post by sforgey1 »

Anyone have info on where they were made? Who made them?

If we can determine that, perhaps they have the forms and can cast a few.

A few people have told me that they have the same issue. Having one made from scratch is about $1500 plus haul and store while it is being done.

Thanks

scott
Girlfriend - F-32 Hoyt
Scott Forgey

sforgey1

Post by sforgey1 »

Wow. So having new strut fabricated since no one can find any info!

If anyone has an idea where they were made that would help. At yard tomorrow for bottom repaint and lots of grinding sounds.

Ideas ??!!
Scott Forgey

sforgey1

Post by sforgey1 »

UPDATE - thanks for all that offered suggestions

I had my local boatyard replace my prop shaft strut when I had the bottom redone a few weeks ago. Whew that was some work. The yard owner swore they didn't quote doing the work for me, left me at the dock for two hours, then came back and asked for the scope of work and diagram. When I gave him that he looked at it, shot back a quick "do you have pictures?" Ugh. I handed him the pictures his team had from my last bottom job showing me the strut and he immediately stormed off for yet another hour. Such drama. Finally smiling, he emerged from the offices and said "we can do it, I have someone who can fabricate it." No surprise - it is Ft Lauderdale, the land of boats. He then said the inevitable "well...it is going to cost a lot more and take 6 days," shook his rather tanned head and wandered off.

Summers are always cheaper here in South Florida. Since we were completely unable to find a source for the struts nor anyone who had the dimensions, they had to fabricate it.

Then ended up having it made of stainless. Took only 3 days.

The location of the bolts that hold it on saved a lot of time and effort (thanks to whoever posted that the nuts were under the battery box).

All told, it took 10 days and about $2600 total to have it done, plus the bottom job. I am sure if anyone needs the details it is something my yard wont soon forget.

I have a picture of the old one...which is slightly frightening.

Cheers,
Scott Forgey