Loose Keel repair

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
Messing About

Loose Keel repair

Post by Messing About »

During haul out this past season we noticed that the keel is a little loose and has a small amount of movement. When the boat was still in the travel lift slings, we could see a small amount of water being squeezed out at the hull to keel joint as the boat moved side to side with the keel touching the blocks on the ground.

I was originally planning to loosen the keel bolts and lower the keel so it could be cleaned up and then refasten it with 5200 and properly torqued nuts. Finally I would re-tape and epoxy the joint and fair.

After some research, I read that the keel would possibly have to be cut loose and there was a significant risk of damage by doing this.

I am now a little apprehensive and anybody with experience or comments on this would be appreciated. ;)
1988 F36/38
s/v Soltura

bbarnewolt

Re: Loose Keel repair

Post by bbarnewolt »

Hi,
Perhaps you've read my brief thread in this forum from a few years back on weeping keel bolts. My 1988 F36/38 never had a loose keel and that is one reason why I never lowered it. If your keel is actually loose, maybe someone previously lowered it and removing it will not be such an ordeal. As our boats are of identical vintage, I would think the original manufacturing was the same as outlined in my previous post. Let me know if you have further questions.
Brien
1988 F36/38
Mattapoisett, MA