Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
rbpfyo

Re: F39 PH deck drainage?

Post by rbpfyo »

I like the sponge idea, and the wicking tube

folotp

Post by folotp »

Thanks PH39. This is exactly what I had in mind. Now thanks to you, I have the 15 steps instructions on how to do it! Do you by any chance have any more documents on the F39 like this one? I have next to nothing... not even the user manual!
Pierre-André Folot
s/v “Farfelu” - Freedom 39 PH 1983, hull #14
Sailing the Thousand Islands and Lake Ontario
Canada

Mike Holibar

Post by Mike Holibar »

I hadn't really considered the deck drains a problem, but we did have water getting under the quarter berth in the aft cabin. It came from two sources. Firstly, the sealing around the opening port on the starboard side was incomplete.The water entered from the outside flange and then tracked down inside the lining, so a visual inspection without removing the trim did not reveal the leak. Refitted the port.

The second course was via and opening port in the cockpit, facing aft. In rain or at sea a certain amount of water drains aft along the inboard side of the companion way hatch molding, then down into the cockpit sole. Its path was right beside the port, so, even though the port is protected from direct spray or rain, the water trail made its way to the sill and then into the cabin, inside the lining and again under the quarterberth.

No further water ingress since refitting the stb portlight, and shutting the cockpit port when it rains or when we are taking water over the deck.
Mike Holibar
S/V Fyne Spirit of Plymouth (Freedom 39PHS-1989)
Lyttelton
New Zealand