F-30 Rudder Shaft Packing

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
rvivian

F-30 Rudder Shaft Packing

Post by rvivian »

Does anyone know the packing size for the rudder post packing on an F-30?

I've searched the Board and only found info on F-32 packing with somewhat conflicting size. Is the F-30 packing the same?

I'm thinking of 1/2" square packing.

Anyone have comments on size or type of packing?
Heart's Desire
Freedom 30
Shelton, WA

mike cunningham

Re: F-30 Rudder Shaft Packing

Post by mike cunningham »

I didn't realise there was any rudder post packing. Where does one install it? I had assumed the fact that the rudder tube opening was well above the waterline would preclude the need for packing.

Mike
Mike Cunningham
Freedom 30 (Mull) Hull #3
Build date...June, 1986 . Freedom Yachts USA, sloop, shoal keel
Gun Mount and pole retrofitted (purchased from a Hoyt Freedom 32)
Yanmar 2gm20F , 1600 hrs fixed two blade prop
e-rud and ocean racing equipment

rvivian

Post by rvivian »

Thanks Mike asked the right question!!

I drove the 170 miles to the boat yesterday and checked today. There is no packing gland I could find on the F-30 rudder shaft. The fiberglass tube does extend far above the waterline. I cancelled the packing order.

Goes to show you that you can read too much and worry too much about what you read.

RWV
Heart's Desire
Freedom 30
Shelton, WA

mike cunningham

RVW, well, I am glad that is settled. I have been down in the rudder post area many times to lube the bearings and I was going to feel pretty silly if there was packing in there that I had not seen.

BTW. I recently moved to p place on the water (California delta) and my boat is 75 feet away. That is a big change from 750 miles away when I lived in Albuquerque!!!
Mike Cunningham

rvivian

Post by rvivian »

There are rudder post bearings to lube?!!!! :)

Gotta go look again.

RWV
Heart's Desire
Freedom 30
Shelton, WA

mbb05055

Post by mbb05055 »

What this about lubing the rudder post bearings!? Where? How?

Mary
F30 Corydora
Belfast Maine

mike cunningham

On my boat there are lube nipples attached to outside of shaft tube. Just hook a lube gun to them and lube away. Now if you don't have the nipples you gotta drill the tube and install them. If they are not there check the exterior of tube at about 3 inches off bottom and similar distance from top of tube. You may see signs of previous installation. If no luck I have a spare rudder in the garage and can give you some precise dimensions where the post bearings are located. These could extrapolated to the tube for drilling if you decide to go that route. I would want to be a le to lube the bearings periodically.
Mike Cunningham

sailmon

Post by sailmon »

It might be a bit more complicated to install zerc (grease) fittings if they have not been previously installed. In addition to drilling through the outer fiberglass rudder tube, I believe you need to drill through the upper and lower derelin rudder bearings so the grease can get to the surface between the bearing and the stainless sleeve attached to the laid-up rudder stock. The trick is to drill through the outer shaft tube and the bearings without drilling into or scoring the stainless sleeves that ride on the inside of the bearings. Best way to be sure this does not happen is to drop the rudder before drilling.

There is also debate about whether fittings are needed on both upper and lower bearing. Some (former Freedom factory folks) believed only upper was needed because lower bearing is water lubed. Others felt both were needed. My F30 only had uppers. My F38 has both.
Sailmon (Captain Bob Allenick)
S/V Her Diamond
1991 Freedom 38
Cleveland, OH

TomBianca

Post by TomBianca »

While on the subject of rudder post lubrication, does anyone know the typical/allowable free play in the rudder post? I am seeing about +/- 3/16" play when testing for play on the hard. Thanks, Tom K (1990 F32 "Ula" & 1990 F45CC Die Walkure) Deltaville, VA

sailmon

Post by sailmon »

Great question. I noticed when we hauled out this past October that I seem to have about 1/4" play in my lower rudder bearing - and do not recall seeing it there previously. Seems to me tolerance was much tighter when we installed new bearing around 7 years ago.
Sailmon (Captain Bob Allenick)
S/V Her Diamond
1991 Freedom 38
Cleveland, OH