Solar panels, Wind Gen, Arch Mounting

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
IandI

Solar panels, Wind Gen, Arch Mounting

Post by IandI »

I am wondering how everyone has mounted their solar panels, wind gens and/or arches on a F39 Express.
I am trying to figure out what is the best way to mount wind gen and solar to a F39 Express. I am unsure if I want to mount an arch on the boat.
any input and photos would be a great help.
thanks all.
Steve

jdpandlp

Re: Solar panels, Wind Gen, Arch Mounting

Post by jdpandlp »

I have a hardtop that covers the entire cockpit area of White Wings a 39 Express. I need to review how to post a picture but the top runs from the front edge of the companion way to the rear stantions with just enough room for the aft traveler. It is wide enough for curtains and screens to drop straight down to snaps on the outside of coaming.It is built to just clear the underside of boom and allows a standing height of 6 feet at the wheel, I'm only 5'6''.
The hard top not only keeps an old fart with skin damage out of the sun but it is an outstanding place to mount solar panels. On top of the hardtop I have solar cells mounted. The cabling runs down the inside of the supports for a clean installation. The two I have are about 2' x 4' and have been in place for 6 years, I forget the wattage. The panels are enough to meet my needs and will keep a pair of 8D AGMS topped off at anchor on sunny days. On the third cloudy day I do need to bring the batteries back with the generator.
There is plenty of room for the panels and still have places to walk when the Mack Pack fouls and it in necessary to get on top of the hardtop to handle the sail cover. I will dig up a picture and post it.
Hope this helps

folotp

Post by folotp »

The timing is interesting because I am currently working on this for my 39PH. My current idea is to build a multipurpose arch over the cockpit. The goal is to solve the following:
  • move the mainsheet traveler out of the cockpit both for safety during gybes, and to allow extension of the bimini aft to protect the helmsman's neck
  • davit arms for the dinghie
  • support for solar panels
  • support for bimini
  • radar mast
Freedom 39PH Mainsheet Arch Design
Freedom 39PH Mainsheet Arch Design
Freedom 39 PH - Mainsheet Arch.png (36.41 KiB) Viewed 4271 times
This is a preliminary design drawing. I'm currently working on the 3D model and calculating the loads and stresses. My main concern right now is attachment point of the arch to the boat. The deck is not wide enough the have the arch's feet bolted through the deck. The only alternative seems to be of attaching the arch to the coamings, but I don't know if they are strong enough. I may need to increase the laminate...

Any comments or critics are more than welcome! If you can destroy the design, please do! :shock:
Pierre-André Folot
s/v “Farfelu” - Freedom 39 PH 1983, hull #14
Sailing the Thousand Islands and Lake Ontario
Canada

jdpandlp

Post by jdpandlp »

There is plenty of room for more panels as required. The top also goes a long way to reduce sun exposure.