Any idea what these cables are for? F32 Hoyt

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
tnltracy

Any idea what these cables are for? F32 Hoyt

Post by tnltracy »

Hi Folks,

Found these in the companionway storage along with a few blocks yesterday (Happy Day!) and I'm not sure if they belong on the boat for a specific use or not. They appear unused, and I can't think of a place they belong. They are 6, 12 and 18 inches long, with SS thimbles at each end.

Thoughts??
cables
cables
2015-04-13 08.34.11.jpg (135.81 KiB) Viewed 4891 times
1984 Freedom 32 #28
Warwick Cove, Greenwich Bay, RI

VeloFellow

Re: Any idea what these cables are for? F32 Hoyt

Post by VeloFellow »

On my boat, a previous owner had used something like this instead of a downhaul. I chose to use them for that purpose with a halyard shackle to the tack. When I was using a rope downhaul I seemed to have to readjust tension after a little sailing. With this element, all luff tensioning is with the halyard. Of course I can't read the mind of the creator. It maybe some heavy duty fishing gear.
Mike
s/v Clave'
1981Freedom 28 #112
Currently sailing Tampa Bay
Buit by Fairways Marine Hamble England
cat ketch, centerboard , wishbone booms, tides track slides
yanmar 2ym15 2blade prop

Rick Simonds

Post by Rick Simonds »

No idea, but I'll take 3 completely wild ass guesses:

1) An experiment with putting a pendant on the tack of the Camberspar jib to raise it up a little and see under it a little better. (If so, I bet it didn't work very well, the Camberspar started hitting the mast when tacking. How do I know this?)

2) The outhaul mechanism inside the boom has some blocks attached with wire pendents like these. These seem pretty short but replacements for those, maybe?

3) I made something very similar as homemade lockable lanyards for stuff like outboard motors and dinghies. They won't stop a determined thief but they will stop an opportunist. Mine have soft plastic tubing over the wire to avoid scratches.

Rick
Tallahassee

tnltracy

Post by tnltracy »

interesting ideas guys. I'm going to go with item 2 from Rick. Haven't even gotten into the boom yet, but I am unsure if I have the blocks in the middle or if the reefing lines and out haul just run straight through. I don't have the flat sided boom I've seen in docs, more teardrop shaped, with dual reefing lines and a cable type outhaul for the mainsail.
1984 Freedom 32 #28
Warwick Cove, Greenwich Bay, RI

midnightsailor

Post by midnightsailor »

They look like jib pennants to raise the jib higher from the deck like previously suggested. Could also be used for any number of things like hold-downs for a cabintop located dingy, or to secure a bow anchor, or locking up various types of gear , like outboards , also sugested.
1982 Freedom 33 Cat Ketch, Hull # 53, Standard Booms, deep keel ,tall rig
An armed man is a citizen, An unarmed man is a subject. George Washington