Looking at a Freedom 30

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
k7el

Looking at a Freedom 30

Post by k7el »

Short notice, but I will be looking at a 1987 Freedom 30 tomorrow. I'd appreciate any suggestions on areas that I should check closely. This boat was being sold, but the survey a few weeks ago found some issues so the deal didn't go through. Main problem, per the broker is a wet section of the forward bulkhead due to water leaking through the deck around the mast. I'm not clear on how this mast is stepped? This issue seems like something that can be dealt with, assuming the leak is found and fixed. I'm trying to get a copy of the survey. Anyway, when the deal fell through, there was a price drop, so it seems like potentially a good deal. Original engine - no hour usage available.

Also, no serviceable dodger, although there is a frame.

Is there anything to indicate problems with the mast? I've heard these are very reliable - which is good because I have no idea what to look for.

Thanks,

Dave

rvivian

Re: Looking at a Freedom 30

Post by rvivian »

How did your visit to the F-30 go? Are you going forward?

How much work needs to be done?

The price was very good and dropped quite a bit.
Heart's Desire
Freedom 30
Shelton, WA

mbb05055

Re: Looking at a Freedom 30

Post by mbb05055 »

If it is not too late.....
I own a 1987 F30 and yes you can get rot around the base of the mast because of the obscurity of the drain hole. Our teak n holly ply is trashed in that area as is a small section of the bulwark at the center line. We are scraping out the rot now. The good news is the section of floor is directly over solid fiberglass; the ply is cosmetic only :D . Because large holes in roofs tend to drip no matter how careful you are, and we don't like to fuss, we plan to artfully replace the damaged area with a shapely section of something rotproof, probably epoxy, though I have considered tile (!). Will of course add better weep holes. The bulwark repair shouldn't be too bad, if fact we are planning to use it as an opportunity to build a small wiring chase to to get wiring out of the bilge. Another area to look at is at the fastenings for the turtle cover, or so I have heard. I am about to pop mine and see what is below.....

I love the boat. She has taken on some great cruises some of them fairly rough (Bay of Fundy etc). Really trust her in wind and waves.

Mary

F30 Corydora
Belfast Maine