winter storage-mast in or out?

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
bobr

winter storage-mast in or out?

Post by bobr »

I live in an area where there is repeated freezing and thawing and a fair amount of snow. The boat (Pedrick 35) has a very good, mast out, winter cover. Very dry in the bilge last winter.

On my last boat (Pearson 303) I stored with the mast in. Lots of water coming in via the mast into the bilge which I pumped as often as possible. Even pouring antifreeze into the bilge I did get some ice, but the bilge was very deep and shaped in a way that the ice did not cause any damage.

I am considering have the cover modified to store with the mast in and save the cost of unstepping it every year. I'm wondering how much water I might expect to come in via the mast? I am concerned about ice in the bilge given the way it is constructed.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Bob R.
1995 Freedom 35 (Pedrick)
"Liberty"
Old Saybrook, CT

Ereiss

Re: winter storage-mast in or out?

Post by Ereiss »

Bob;

I store our F38 mast IN, it does limit my winter storage selection list but have managed to do so regardless. I do get some water down the mast and try to get it out before heavy freezing sets in. I've owned the boat for 7 years so have no experience storing it mast out and have no plans to do so. Others with that experience can comment but for me, it is MAST IN all the way.

Regards
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

mdedionisio

Post by mdedionisio »

Hi guys! I'm looking at purchasing a 36. Since you're talking about mast in vs. out, how about sharing mast removal and stepping thoughts? Since there are no spreaders, I'm wondering what the best way is to handle the mast on the crane.

Thanks

Mark DeDionisio

sailmon

Post by sailmon »

There is a lot of information about unstepping on this board - but the short answer is: tie a loop in the lifting line with long tail. The loop goes around the mast and tail is secured to the gooseneck. Be sure to place loop properly so mast will balance when it is turned horizontal.

Regarding storage question, I have stored mast up for the past 17 years (10 years F30 & 7 years F38). I've always shrink wrapped - which unfortunately is costly. While seal around the mast is good, I'm pretty sure water is coming in from above - through masthead sheve openings and halyard exits.
Sailmon (Captain Bob Allenick)
S/V Her Diamond
1991 Freedom 38
Cleveland, OH

philipl

Post by philipl »

Mast in for 5 of the past 6 years. No problems. I have a furclough cover. I took the mast out one year to install new mast electrics and check the rigging. Cheaper to store and to be honest I am always concerned about possible damage by pulling the mast.
Philip Leahy
F-38 ex Manchester, MA.

bobr

Post by bobr »

Update: I started this thread and appreciate all of the replies. There is no right or wrong way, I have used both methods, but my decision for this year anyway was to pull the mast. It does cost more, but my yard charges less per foot for the hull if you pull the mast rather than leave it up. Bottom line for me was I had an almost new Fairclough cover for mast out that fits very well and the cost to modify it was not much less than the extra cost to the yard to remove the mast. So the net for this year was close to being the same. Going forward it is going to cost me more, but I'm inclined to pay it. Not having to worry about water getting down the mast and freezing is real comfort factor for me. If I lived closer to the boat or had more time to visit the boatyard in the winter I might think differently.
Bob R.
1995 Freedom 35 (Pedrick)
"Liberty"
Old Saybrook, CT